Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A maximum temperature of 26.6c at Durrow Climate Station (Manual) today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭pad199207

Much warmer here today than I expected. 26.9° the high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Keep windows closed (and curtains drawn) during the day, you surely mean? If the morning starts with it at 22/23° indoors, the last thing you want to do is to open the windows and allow air with a higher temperature free reign to gain access to the interior of your house.

If the external air temperature is several degrees higher than the interior the temperatures of your house, you want to keep that outside air outside and have as little sunlight into your house as possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I keep my windows open but curtains closed, coz flies.

I live in a little apartment heat trap. Working from home. Icy water helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I keep my windows open during the warm weather just to warm up the house. From October to June the house is freezing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd forgotten about that! My main sitting room in Longford only got to 20°....... Immense thermal mass of the walls ensures it never gets too hot.

Friday and Saturday on the APERGE iso zoom setting. Toasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Be funny if this heatwave broke 33.3c!

Given 12/13 August is relatively late in the summer, you've lost 2 hours daylight, an hour either side of the day. Of course tapping into continental air and getting prolonged sunshine makes anything possible.

On 18 July that Spanish plume, with cloud and pressure around 1013hpa meant we didn't get the sunshine we needed, despite day length.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

29.8c was recorded at Valentia on Aug 24th 1955, can we call that a 30 to the nearest whole degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Nvm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Certainly not for one minute taking from all that people love about the warm spell of weather coming up but for the Thunderstorm enthusiasts Sunday according to the ECM showing potential for storms breaking out in the afternoon after a very warm day getting into the high 20's and Dp's getting into the high teens. Will be very interesting watching the weather fronts approach from the Atlantic with potentially active convergence zones and a very high Theta W reading and approaching upper trough, big initial MUCAPE readings with a lot of instability potential, perhaps elevated storms initially . Goes on to show thunderstorm potential overnight Sunday and into Monday. A good chance Ireland will have the thunderstorms first on Sunday, will be back from the UK 😀

Worth keeping an eye on as details becoming a bit more clear. Just see Met Eireann mentioning 'Saturday and Sunday: Largely dry with good spells of sunshine and mostly light breezes over the weekend though there is a chance of thundery showers at times'. 

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Thats a great temperature for so late in the summer. Thanks.

Today is what I would call a perfect summer's day. Beautifully warm in the shelter of 1km inland but refreshlingly pleasant right on the coast due to a light breeze. Sea and sky the same blue colour. The evening is stunning. If only it could be like this every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The difference here this evening is notable, very tropical!

For me the next few days are going to be record breaking compared to last heatwave which was gone in a blink..

- Sustained heat for 5/6 days

- Record breaking for the South with temps breaking 30C

- Much higher humidity which will make 30C ovenlike (remember the last heat event had very low humidity)

- Seatemps at record highs right now meaning sea breezes will be minimal.

Regarding a thundery breakdown it looks very hit and miss but with all this heat around you would imagine we are overdue a decent storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is the type of weather I love.

But it's nice in short doses. Just looking at Sky News and the reports from SE England and France, and you wouldn't swap places with those folk. France are getting it super tight, and I suppose we are kinda lucky we live in a country that will never have serious drought conditions. Some places in France havent had rain since April!

Perhaps in the future we will be damn glad to have our climate.

- Much higher humidity which will make 30C ovenlike (remember the last heat event had very low humidity)

IIRC it was only the Dublin region that saw humidity around 30%~40% whereas much of the country was in the high 40%s and up to 60%.

My own records today versus July 18th...

Granted, these are AWS values so, subtle differences between it and the manual thermometers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Last Saturday the rain was horrendous. Monday quite similar. The last few days in the south west have been sunny but cool. Today was a beach day. Warm sunny and just beautiful. In around 21C but in the sun it was hot.

first thing on the news: yellow alert for temperature and of course they wheeled out water shortages.

I just hope this warm weather continues. Best vacation weather I have had at home in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Surprised that Gerry didn't mention on the evening broadcast that we topped 27C today. It doesn't happen that often. I guess he knows it will be beaten tomorrow, most likely in the South again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Inchydoney today - just stunning weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think there's a good chance we will beat the all time August record of 31.5c

Surely tomorrow will beat the rather impressive 27.4c. I'd say weekend will touch 30c but one of 2 spots might tip 31 if its sunny enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

August 1995 was a hot month with Kilkenny over 25C most days and over 30C at times.

It doesn't happen often but August is a summer month and the south east is very very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Lucky you. I wish we had that beautiful weather down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like the latest models are prolonging the warm weather into next week now. Turning less anticyclonic and more unstable but the warm airmass sits over the country up until Thursday 18th on both the ECM and GFS 0z. No significant cool down on Monday, speaking of which, quite an interesting setup for that day... I'll leave that to the convection experts to discuss though as convection is far from my expertise!

This August is turning out to be one for the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Came downstairs this morning at 5:30 and the house was 24 degrees so I opened up every single window and door and got it down to 19 in no time. Will close all the windows now shortly. Blinds already down.

absolutely love this weather though and I’m not working this week yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Could get used to this brilliant blue sky, light breeze and great temperatures....

Thankfully, Calabria, Italy beckons on the 20th so I'll be a little used to the warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Going to be some event, the transition from bike to run will probably be in highs around 28°C. The competitors may just be wishing for 2019 at that stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is what I was hoping for, the cooldown to be delayed and it looks as if next week will not be as hot as this week but temperatures in many parts of the country could remain in the low to mid twenties. Id say there is a chance of no breakdown at all and we could stay fairly warm next week if slightly volatile before a possible reload of the heat for the final week of August. By September 1st many of us will be closing the book on summer 2022 with a big smile on our faces. The dissapointing 1st and final week to June is forgiven. Even if the last 2 weeks of August end up dissapointing, summer has done it's job with a remarkable period of mostly settled and very warm weather betweeen the 5th of July and 3rd week of August.

This could possibly be the best summer since 1995. I feel both 2018 and 2021 are already beaten here in Leinster. In terms of the very south of England they are looking at the warmest and driest summer since 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Scorchio part deux 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

The hotter the better for me personally only finished an IM recently in the high 20s was lovely.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement