Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the range of a tour guide radio?

Options
  • 07-08-2022 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Random question here but I recently returned from a holiday in Germany only to realise i never returned the pocket radio and headphones i got from a day trip i went on.

Its a small portable fm receiver model pr13, powered by 2 batteries, the kind you listen to when in a large group of people to hear the guide speaking 100 or 200m away. He told us to tune in to 77.1 which was the best frequency for hearing him

Now back home, i can only hear static and occasional background noise at that frequency. Is it actually possible to tune into Germany from here or is it dependant on an extra device the tour guide has? Dont know anything about radios so all replies appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭sundodger5

That is going to be based on a really low power transmitter and receiver setup.

Easiest way to think of it would be that the transmitter (tour guide bit) is basically like a wireless mic for stage use.

You may pick up transmissions on it. it is a radio after all but what you may receive depends on what frequencies that the receiver covers.

Germany is certainly out.

It's most likely a radio for receiving a very limited set of frequencies.

With radio, the antenna is the Key for transmitting and also receiving and it needs to be out doors.

A radio is only as good as it's antenna, a radio will only receive a fraction of the signals with a tiny indoor antenna than with a good externally mounted receiving antenna.

If you're interested in Radio or interested in getting into it then the Tecsun PL-680 is a really good radio, get 30 feet of wire and attach it to a high point outside and bring it in through the window, very thin wire will do. The difference in received signals will be night and day different.

There's lots to listen to, from Aircraft/tower communications to Commercial AM stations and Ham radio operators on SSB and CB folk all on what they call Shortwave radio. For me a real fascination is getting a signal from a far away place with no internet, just Antenna to Antenna, as a licensed radio Amateur being able to talk to People all over the World with no internet with only antenna to antenna with no internet is just amazing.

Just last night I was talking to CX4DI in Uruguay, 10,000 Kms away on a frequency of 7.153 Mhz with a Yaesu Transceiver and a wire antenna and just 100 Watts of RF power.

You can also transmit on CB channels with antenna on your car or on your roof with no license needed and talk 10s to 1000s of Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

Retekess PR13 Portable FM Radio Receiver

FM frequency range 60-108MHz

Whilst there is nothing to be heard on 77.1 MHz, this receiver can be used to listen to regular FM radio stations 87.5 - 108, also covers different worldwide FM bands too (Japan, Brazil etc) , as it covers 60 - 108.

https://www.retekess.com/pr13-portable-receiver#F9213A@10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks very much for the reply and to the other posters too.

Why is there nothing to be heard at 77mHz if the range starts at 60? When i tune into 77 i hear faint sounds almost like a radio station dipping in and out with intermittent music but i dont think its possible to hear my german tour guide from here. Most likely due to the fact his "radio tower" was much smaller and limited to 100 or so feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

77Mhz was never used for conventional FM radio transmission here, the band here starts at 87.5Mhz

There is absolutely no chance, at all, of hearing a low power FM transmission from Germany in Ireland. The range would probably have been measured in tens of metres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement