Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left wing students suddenly became very right wing!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

No need to tell me about your looks, age or earning potential. That's cool if you're pretty, liberal and in your early 30's . Nothing wrong with good looks and having a well paid job.

No need to take it out on the generation after you if they're more socially clever than your generation.

So what kind of liberal are you ?

Do you lean towards being a social justice warrior type, and like arguing with people on the internet who are opposed to the status quo ?

Conservatives are actually more liberal than people who call themselves liberal. You'll be more conservative in way's when you're in your mid 40's .

I got caught up with liberalism and by the time I was nearly your age I was a shell of a person from the bullshit my peers were spouting. I thought they were cool, far from it. Always seeking to be offended, and if they're not offended they'll make something up to be offended by.

A bit like you reading my post,and then making it about you. Then they'll say well I'm a liberal,I'm working in a well paid job, I'm pretty etc

You have often had a hop off me here on board's, you tend to hone in because you're offended rather than engaged in civil discourse. It always ends up getting chaotic. So I suggest you don't try that here. I'll just tap the ignore button.

There's absolutely no indication that younger Irish voters have swung to the right. That's based on political polling. Eg the strongest parties in general are centrist. SF tend to poll best and guess what, they're not conservative. Meanwhile your son's friends and even myself, amount to anecdotal claims. The data backs me up though...

Well as I've observed the data supports the agenda rather than the agenda support's the data.

Wait until you're in your mid 40's and you'll look back at the fact you labeled yourself a liberal, and you'll have all your earning potential stripped down to the basics and you'll be told to sorry computer say's no.

As you go into your 40's your needs and view points on living will evolve to being more self sufficient and looking after your loved ones . Be it family, partner and making a nice comfortable home for yourself and your loved ones. And when the green agenda and liberal or communist government, have squeezed you so tight you can't go anywhere, buy nice things etc then you'll realize that you've been duped.

Like my father before me, year's ago I had less wages but it went a lot further. And that's on a trajectory to the point where it'll be breaking even if inflation gets too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its just the oft fabled slightly mythical conservative silent majority youth vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So what about the ballot box, surely the most significant indicator of any cohort's political orientation? When the young people of Ireland go out and vote for Sinn Fein in their droves at the next general election, will you take that as sign of their growing conservatism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I want to live in a modern country with..

adequate, safe, modern, affordable, efficient and far reaching public transport.

public housing with sensible waiting lists

healthcare with adequate inpatient and outpatient care, regional modern outpatient gym and physio facilities with alter g tech, hydrotherapy, exoskeleton tech etc.. instead of a physio visit every now and then..

adequate supports if you find yourself not working for any reason…

taxpayers and citizens shock horror who when need, are prioritised…..

the above rights go a ways to underpinning our wellbeing.

that cannot happen when we are second class citizens in our own country.

And this amounts to a rant... I own a home which many of my generation are struggling to do. That's not as a result of left wing policies. We haven't historically had governments that lean left wing beyond a minority role. So blaming the leftists is a bit historical rewrite.

The "woke" rants are largely social policies rather than fiscal btw. Fyi inflation and the public struggling is happening in the UK under a Tory government who love to rant about "woke". So conservatism is totally going great there, eh?

Anyway, the thread was created by another ranting idiot.

Have to love the ranting about communist governments here in Ireland, but not surprising from someone who believes a word out of the mouth of cons like Alex Jones.

One vote for every voice in their head perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Why are people saying the OP is trolling or giving inaccurate or misleading info? They are literally moving the refugees out of the student accommodation to make way for the woke students. What part of this is not true?

Where are the student reps with their loud halers offering to let the refugees stay for a few more months and do their lectures/assessments online like during covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Woke, left, right, evicted... none of these terms are in the article. OP is pulling the narrative out of their arse. Making **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

campus near me only has silent halers

students want facilities back and in person learning . 😎 good on em.

pThey worked hard to get college places, they want college learning.

It's great to see you're honest by introducing your rant, then humble bragging about the fact you have a home, and many of your generation are struggling to do so.

Dodging addressing the overall fact that the generational damage has been done by conservative governments.... I'm focusing on the facts that led to the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think these simplistic labels work here, they are borrowed from the US culture wars. In that regard we are more tolerant, a more liberal trait but our voting patterns can be right across the spectrum, often because we just like candidates. That people all become fixed in their ways is the way our natures work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone who uses the word 'woke' in daily conversation is wasting their life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I book a hotel for Monday night from a hotel, the hotel then books the same room for a Tuesday night for someone else. Are the hotel evicting me on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's student accommodation and it was flagged as a simple temporary solution to use empty accommodation. It really doesn't suit anybody to have a variety of sectors over this. It is unfortunate for the refugees that they will have to move but it may mean a less temporary outcome.

Like the current situation in Canada, that's progress, look at New Zealand , look at America .

Liberal governments think that printing out worthless money is going to solve inflation. You can't solve a recession the liberal way.

Look how the liberal governments have created division rather than amalgamation.

Your fact's are only worth the ink written on paper.

And this is still dodging. Fyi, the US don't have a left wing government which admittedly seems to be a revelation to certain posters. You've given me a lecture on how I'll change my attitude but you can't even argue it coherently. You can't explain how left wing policies are responsible for the crises Ireland faces in the coming years. Instead you're moving the goal posts.

• Advertisement

If you're suggesting an argument now, you can go somewhere else. I'm not going to be drawn into an argument with a self proclaimed liberal on the internet.

I'm all for discussion, but any time I end up in a discussion with you it ensues chaos.

You're on ignore now, so don't even bother replying:)

Bye bye 👋

They already voted for Sinn Fein in their droves and look what happened.

I'f Sinn Fein get a chance, I'll support them and wish them luck. It's a democracy and whomever gets the most votes will be on top. As for these parties all coming together and making sure Sinn Fein didn't get in this time round was probably a stroke of luck for Sinn Fein. Because the last few years have been absolute chaos. Imagine the opposition to higher inflation and energy rates etc it would have been a disaster for Sinn Fein and their credibility. Finanna Fail and Fine Gael would have had a great time on the stands.

No doubt before the next general election things will be better, and the political game will continue.

You'll have the conservatives coming to the rescue, oh look at how we turned the economy around...

I've been observing their game's since the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

This thread is similar quality to the hidden comments on twitter threads from accounts with no profile pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You're on ignore now, so don't even bother replying:)

Indeed because that's what you require, more echo chamber. 👍️

Lol sometimes one just has to walk away from these things, because when the echo chamber is like a celtic knot and there's no going back, you have to break down the wall and move on.

You're right, it becomes an echo chamber obviously you have been there too. Thanks for the heads up 🙌

Shshhhhh you're not meant to be self aware or look at variables or contradictions while interacting with people who are full of hypocrisy.

These students should be able to go on zoom or something similar. And leave the accommodation for the poor and destitute.

Anyhow it would save their parents a fortune, and they'll be able to get part time jobs in order to have a bit of money for themselves.

So I think it's a virtuous act of charitable giving rather than taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I love it when someone immediately starts throwing the term "woke" about.

It tells me that I can safely stop reading, ignore their entire output and them as a whole.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Surely nobody who has read this followup post thinks the OP is genuine?

• Advertisement

These students booked accommodation for their college year, paying a deposit in advance - the purpose of this accommodation. The colleges/property companies elected to open the doors of empty units to refugees for the period from May to September. Now the colleges/property companies need to make way for the students who booked college accommodation for autumn. Very standard fare - misuse of "eviction".

Where is the evidence that all the students are woke? How is this standard policy anything to do with students? What about courses that can't be done entirely on Zoom?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement