Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy quotes for solar panels - can we do anything?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Power wasn't on during snagging and from what I've heard this is normal. Also, the developer had some work done after snagging. Neighbour spotted Part L calculations were wrong so they had to fit more panels. All a bit of a mess really.

Some of the stuff my snagger found was unbelievable. Still waiting on one item to be fixed a year later. Back and forth between developer and their supplier on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What kind of ground mount this you use? That's a serious set up😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You're a frequent poster so I don't want to ignore you but I won't be posting pictures due to backlash on previous occasions from all the Karens out there.

They are galvanised tubular steel, thicker than normal, buried in 3ft of concrete and back supported into a block garden wall, they need to be 3.7m to avoid house/neighbourhood shading as much as possible. All lengths joined by clamps. Tiltable so I can adjust slightly if I want month to month. Could have done them with cheaper materials but I really wanted them rock solid and maintenance free. Renusul mounting was then bolted on. Happy out now all done.

Tube here, the thickest ones Galvanised Tubes or Pipes Up To 6 Metres in Length from ProWeld

Clamps here to give you an idea Key Clamp Parts And Tubes for Handrails and Guardrail Systems (proweld.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there recommend measurements for that sort of ground setup in order to get the panel mounts on ok?

😎

Dunno, I put in lots of "uprights" and way too big concrete footings, prior to putting the panels up I would swing out of the rails and there's wasn't a budget so passed my scientific test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭poker--addict

how did you do the tilt?

😎

This should give you the idea, see the holes, I can bring the panels "in" to make more upright and "out" to achieve the opposite (boards tilted the photo for some strange reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭steamdave

I've done it! About 10 years ago I invested in a company that hired a factory roof in Spain to put pv panels on.

In those days the FIT in Spain was huge (30C/kwHr), guaranteed by Royal Decree. The factory got the electricity generated for free, we got the FIT. Grand for a few years until the Spanish government revoked the Royal Decree and stopped the FIT payments. There is a court case 'pending', but I doubt I will live long enough to hear the outcome.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Class. You were well ahead of most so. Great story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭steamdave

Also had solar hot water heating panels in 1980 (back in England - I'm a blow in, although I have the Irish passport). Flat plate type so very inefficient by today's standards, but handy when there was a young family at home. At the time, pay back would have been about 15 - 18 years!

Dave

Advertisement