Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato leaves rotted, blight?

Options
  • 08-08-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

So looks like my spuds are toast for the year. Set a few drills this year. Third time on the same place due to time constraints ( I live elsewhere). They got sprayed last year, not this year.

Come down to the homestead to enjoy a few weeks here. All my potato plants are gone from thriving to completely leafless in the space of three weeks. Had the blighty conditions 10 days ago but doesn'tr seem to have that rotting blight smell. All the leaves are black and rotted, all the stalks are weirdly ok, so not blackleg I think but something else? Have dug a few out, most seem fine, though some of my queens seemed to have small areas of brown discolouration (the start of rot?)

Anyway anyone know what this might be and more importantly what I do next. Looks like the weather is fine and dry for the next while so unsure on whether to dig everything up now, to cut back the stalks and leave the spuds underground or what.

I planted spuds in another location on the property and they seem to be doing fine despite the identical weather conditions.

Used my own seed plants from last year. Its possible I put in one or two slightly discoloured ones

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 miaramaciotti

It's unfortunate to hear that your potato plants have rotted, and it could be due to blight or another disease. If the leaves are black and rotted, and the stalks are strangely okay, it may not be blackleg. However, if the weather has been blighty, it's possible that blight is the culprit.

To address the issue, you may want to consider digging up the affected plants and disposing of them to prevent the disease from spreading. If the potatoes seem fine, you can harvest them and use them, but it's important to inspect them carefully for any signs of rot or discoloration.

If you have other potato plants on your property that are doing fine, it's possible that the issue is isolated to the affected area. You may want to consider rotating your potato planting location in the future to prevent any potential buildup of disease in the soil.

Advertisement