Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant find studs in new build

• 08-08-2022 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to attach a TV to a wall in a new build (build this year) but I cant find the studs in the wall for the life of me. Its the shared wall between the next door house.

I have tried using a magnet to find the screws but I am not picking up anything. I was thinking it was a dot and dab wall but taking off the socket on the wall, there is thick solid insulation behind the wall. Ive never seen this insulation before but its solid and reminds me of black Styrofoam.

The sockets on the wall are not attached to any studs, just to the drywall. I've tried pocking either side of the socket but the insulation is too thick to find a stud.

I've never had an issue finding a stud before but I've never done it on a new build house. Id go down the route of drilling holes until I find a stud but its not my house so I don't want to do this if possible. Is there a new method of building that doesn't require studs? I'm thinking maybe the drywall is attached to the insulation blocks using adhesive but I don't know if this is a possibility.

Taking the skirting boards off it not an option and there are no visible nails on the skirting either, I'm assuming it was just attached using adhesive.

knocking on the wall isn't helping either as the different sounds are irregular.

I'm hanging a large tv (20kg) so I defiantly want to attach it to a stud and not rely on just the drywall to hold it in place.

I've ran out of ideas that avoids destroying the wall, would anyone have any advice?

Comments

Advertisement