Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the flaw in my plan...?

Options
  • 08-08-2022 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Bottle washing, fekkin hate it.

Hi all

New to this, done maybe 6 kits in all.

Looking at making bottle hygene a bit easier.

Came up with this plan, I assume thre is a flaw, but my ego makes me blind :-D

But 240 liter wheeie bin (new)

Put 4 crates of bottles in bin, fill with water and vinegar (or bleach, no both) soak for the morning.

Bottles are facing down, crates go in sideways so bottles end up horizontal

Lift crates out, allow drain and wrap entire crate in cling film undill ready to bottle.

Bottles are rinsed after use and stored upside down in crates if it makes any odds.

Please tell me there is a flaw, otherwise my ego will explode with me thinking im a genius.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Seems alright.....but why not get a plastic keg?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

as opposed to bolltling?

I dont drink them fast enough , Id be afraid it would go off in a keg.

or do I misunderstand?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, plastic kegs aren't great if you're not rattling through the beer.

The only issue I can see with Project Wheeliebin is the danger that the bottles won't get completely filled with sanitiser. If they're not vertical or near it you'll likely get air bubbles where the sanitiser isn't touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You will waste a lot of sanitiser compared to only filling/submerging the bottles themselves

Having them all in crates in a bin, stacked, then filling the bin - it has a lot of wasted space to be filled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how many bottles are we talking about - 40? Sanitising is pretty quick if you have this kit, it's the filling and capping that takes time in my experience.

thanks all, just be clear, the sanitising, I'll continue doing that with the pump thing just prior to bottle.

This is more for genral maintenace and keeping them clean between brews

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just make sure to put them away clean - rinse them properly after use and they shouldn't need major cleaning. I give mine a rinse to get any dust out, then sanitise and onto the rack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, if you're going to sanitise them again before use you don't need to do it beforehand. If your system described above does actually work in sanitising the bottles then once the bottles are sealed with cling film they'll stay sanitised and can be simply unwrapped and filled when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I soak my bottles in a plastic bucket with Oxi Sanclean (from geterbrewed) overnight as there's always muck inside them/grown there since last used. The next day i rinse out with the kit posted above and sodium metabisulphate, not got a bad batch so far but maybe overkill. I'm worried that leaving anything damp, not matter how santised and exposed to air even if cling filmed would get mould on the inside eventually.

I'd agree with the op that bottling is a faff. Maybe airless transfer to keg is the way to go if you have the space for that setup .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

thanks all, some good infos , appreciate it

Advertisement