Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Position of EV charger on house - aim for solar gain?

• 09-08-2022 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Have solar panels recently installed. Thinking of getting an EV.

We have a detached house with room to drive around three sides: E, N, W facing. If the charger could go on any side (I haven't asked an electrician yet), W facing would be handiest by far, as that's the door we usually use. However, EV would be used for school runs in the morning, and on a sunny day, car would be in full shade in morning when started up first (frosted up on frosty mornings vs clear on the East facing side).

I'm wondering if this is much of a factor? Is it harder on the battery to be started from a cold start on a frosty morning? What about at charging time - does it make any difference to charging time/cost whether the sun is shining?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No difference at all, put it where it's most convenient for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Personally I'd go for the Sun position but remember you can park it wherever you want, it's only those mornings in Winter when the car was on charge that it will be parked at the charge point (through necessity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Would closeness to meter /fusebox not be a factor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Position the charger so that the car can be in the shade in summer and in what ever sun you can get in winter, less energy needed to pre cool/heat it.

Other than that, it makes no difference, unless the walking distance from door to car is a consideration.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Further away it is from fuse box more expensive it will be to install. As more cable will be needed. (Cable is very expensive now) Ours is installed on the wall behind our fuse box. Northfacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Makes exactly zero difference if the car is in the shade because most EVs have a great trick called preheating

I've both of our EVs set to preheat around 7.30 in winter to a nice warm temp, so the car is toasty and the windows clear every morning. Our driveway is north facing and in the shadow of the house, so definitely worst case

If you're worried about the preheating cutting into your range you can just ensure the car is plugged in the night before, so it'll take the power for heating from the grid and not the car battery

So just put the charger where it's convenient for you.

I'd recommend looking at a charger with solar integration, since you already have panels. That way you can charge the car using excess solar instead of dumping it to the grid

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They need to bring back the 52kwh ID4. I see the US are getting a 64kwk ID4 standard

Perfect size for Ireland and far more accessible to many

Post edited by ted1 on

Advertisement