Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croi Conaithe (Towns) - Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭A cup of te

Any of you who got the grant - did you pay the builder when they gave you an invoice and then the Council imbursed you? Or do the council directly pay the builder when you present the invoice? I don't want to leave the builder hanging so just wondering is it a case you pay up front and then the council give you the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Adrienne13

Hi, I have been approved for the grant in Co Mayo. Has anyone here been paid out the grant and if so, how long after completion of work does it generally take to get payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thekamanchi

I have had a few dealings with the (I believe newly appointed) officer in SDCC. I have found her to be quite abrupt and unhelpful so far. There is a number on their website for her office. I suggest calling, but don't expect a straight answer. And yes, I'd say things can always be escalated. Perhaps the more this happens, the more the message will get across to government that this whole process is something of a fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Thekamanchi

We are currently in the process of purchasing a property that we've been told has been vacant since 2019. The estate agent pushed this aspect, presumably as a selling point, and in truth it changed the complexion of things for us as it put this property within financial reach for us, assuming we could successfully avail of this grant. Given what I've read on this thread so far, this might have been a tad naive on our part. But here we are. Anyway, the sellers have been accommodating, kind of, and provided a sworn declaration of vacancy. They have also provided us with Bord Gais utility bills for a 2-year period showing usage approx 66% below the household average usage, which is approx 11,000kWh per 12 months. They said that the heating had been left on at a low level to keep the property from becoming damp and rotten. Seems plausible enough.

Has anyone else applied for this grant using gas bills instead of ESB bills? Was this any issues with this? Did the previous owners leave the heating on as outlined previously in my comment. Could this compromise our chances of approval? I am somewhat suspicious because the sellers have been really reluctant to offer us ESB bills instead, even though I'm told the process of getting such bills is very straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jiminho

hi all - just came in to say that got final approval for payment for the full 70k. Still waiting on payment which I’ve been told could be a few more months but the assurance of the full amount was a big relief. Let me tell yeah, the timelines, issues with the bank, fronting the money etc. made this whole process a challenge but dealing with the CC has been fairly smooth. It just took ages. It will probably be 15/16 months between initial application and payment but 5/6 months of that was obviously for the renovation itself. For anyone looking to make use of this grant, be sure to have the money in place before you proceed with the reno as you’ll be waiting a long time for the reimbursement from the CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Francisq

Hi Just wondering how long it takes to get approved if we’re lucky once they’ve all the documents and the person has visited the property

The form was sent in early February I know the report was ready for review in early April this is in Dublin City Council. I’ve not heard anything since

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 user456

Hi

I've applied to the vacant property grant, its been 10 weeks since we issued our application and 4 weeks since they have confirmed the documentation is in order, we're currently waiting on an inspector in North city Dublin. does any body know how long its taken for the inspectors to come out?

Thanks

Haven't used the gas, but Id be cautious of reling on a 66% usage. The owner should be able to email the ESB, and the ESB will revert with a simple confirmation that energy usage is low for the past 2 years, nothing technical. the ESB reverted to us in a day or so.

where in north Dublin and the inspector came out to the house within 4 weeks of submitting the Form. In early February it took another 4 weeks to get all the inspector needed from us quotes from each vendor with vat numbers etc this was after we included all as part of the form. You really need to be at a point we’re you’ve decided what kitchen, bathroom flooring etc and have quotes for them they won’t accept a builders PC sum of 15k for e.g kitchen.

I had to wait till day of Sale of house to get the contract as a signed affidavit before we send in the form we’re we’re also moving out of house we sold and moving in to the house but the council had to acknowledge receipt of the vacant property form before we moved in and they did on the same day we bought and sold. Talk about pressure and stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dianneos

Hi I'm new to this thread Ive just read the lot of it and my nevers or shot. I've gone sale agreed on a vacant house, I only put in an offer as I was told I could apply for the grant. I didn't realise it would be so hard, I'm a single mother with absolutely no clue of building work of contractors. I'm trying to get quotes together now so I can apply, to see if I can get approved in principle. I don't even no what contractors to try and find. I will be applying to Cork county council, does anyone have any experience with them and how long the process took. I'm so nervous now thinking I made the wrong choice and that I should of just waited for affordable housing to come up in my area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a friend recently apply in Cork City. They seem to move alot faster in cork than dublin. theey they submitted the application and within 3 weeks they had an inspector call to the house . They were told they would have a decision in 2 weeks and they could then start works.

Advertisement