Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small sliding window for front office... any Irish suppliers?

• 09-08-2022 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭

I'm looking at partitioning one of our open offices and want to get a sliding / serving window put into the reception area for dealing with the public.

I know I can buy the sliding window kits and get some tempered glass to drop into the frame but I was hoping to get something a little better built. I was thinking along the lines of a small PVC framed window, with turn handles, proper sealed panes and relatively well sealed into the partition.

Are there any Irish suppliers making a small sliding window, 1 x 1m or thereabouts or even a split hinged window of similar dimensions? Failing that, could anyone recommend a sturdy, good quality sliding frame that would take individual panes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Are you looking for what's basically a Sliding patio door? But a bit smaller than an actual door at 1m x 1m?

Thats the best way to do it cos at 1m the weight of the sliding part will be too heavy for any window of the size.

Also with Pvc supply issues now the prices are very high. The best solution I'd say is get the kit you mentioned before instead of Pvc window. Any Pvc window company will make up window /door for the size you want and fit it, it's very typical of the the variety of similar jobs they do. I've seen similar windows /doors in factories in lots of places.

Where can you get the sliding door kits you said you can get? I've never heard of them..... eBay was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

Exactly, I'm basically looking for a shrunk down sliding door! I have definitely seen these in buildings before but I cannot locate any sellers. Even Munster don't do them, they offered a custom built hinged window instead.

If I could get even a well-built PVC window split and latched down the middle, hinged on both sides this would do also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

These are the light-weight sliding rails that screw in above and below a frame and you either throw in some tempered glass or perspex.. common on cabinets but used in reception windows also. Your local hardware could likely get these in and they're readily available online. My gripe with these kits is that I want to keep the office relatively well sealed and these sliding kits wouldn't be great for this

I'm haven't come back on here since you answered last week.

Anyway I think the only option to do a decent job is to get a Pvc window installation company to do it. A double glazed unit will be the best option especially to get it fairly sound proofed or at least once closed eliminate any draught etc.

The likes of Munster joinery aren't really bothered to do a once off/ off size, the best option is to phone around any local companies in your area. I got a similar job done in a business premises and a local Pvc company did the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tim crowe

I can narrow the list by one for you. Avoid [snip] at all costs. I used [snip] myself and had a terrible experience with them. Their surveyor measured our 6 grand alu clad doors wrong, they installed them, then never engaged us again to rectify. Avoid [snip] at all costs. Their company director arrived at our family home swearing profusely at us when the flaws in his company's work were pointed out to him. A bitter little man, horrible staff, bad tradesmen - Avoid these jokers at all costs.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Advertisement