Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFS couch quality issues

Options
  • 09-08-2022 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

We recently got a new corner couch, chair and footstool from DFS. It was delivered in June so we have it 2 months.

We are really unhappy with thr quality of it, all of the seat and back cushions are flat and creased and needs to be fluffed several times a day but the main issue were having in bobbling all over the seats- I'm concerned it it's like it in 2 months, what will it be like in 2 years.

The arm of the chair is also all wrinkled and puckered as it has settled and looks like it's just fabric over mdf.

We have reached out with no reply as of yet but I've read they are bad to deal with with suggesting to some customers to shave their couches.

What sort, if any come back do I have on it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

There seems to be a constant flow of people who have issues with DFS. The only way to get action seems to be writing to them and letting them know that you will follow the small claims route like many of their other customers if it is not corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bought from DFS about 6 years ago for my first house, absolute crap they sell and cowboys. I paid €1700 for a large 2 seater, it started sagging in the middle of the seat cushions after a few months. Initially when I rang they were quite helpful and someone came out a few days later and looked it over, made no comment and said the store manager will be in touch. Then a few days later they sent out I believe the store manager, to show my wife how to "plump" the cushions. Still sagged and from then on I got no joy from them, I insisted I wanted the filling upgraded for a better foam. Alot of back and forth and nothing for about a month.

Then I read online about them and all the problems (I wished I had done that first). The recommendation was if you took the finance, which I did, stop the direct debit to them. I did that and within 2 weeks of the first payment stopped, the finance company were in touch I told them my problem and within a week DFS were on, collected the cushions, refilled with a better foam and had them back in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Then I read online about them and all the problems (I wished I had done that first). The recommendation was if you took the finance, which I did, stop the direct debit to them. I did that and within 2 weeks of the first payment stopped, the finance company were in touch I told them my problem and within a week DFS were on, collected the cushions, refilled with a better foam and had them back in about 2 weeks.

You need to be careful going down this route. When you buy goods or services and finance it, you are borrowing the price of the item from a finance company who then pay the supplier. Legally, you now have a debt with a third party company and you have an agreed repayment schedule. The original supplier is out of the loop. While witholding payments may be a way to put pressure on the original supplier, in the interim they may have moved this side of their business to a different finance company. Which would leave you with no leverage whatsoever.

While the strategy of witholding payments worked for the poster above, that will not always be the case and you could end up with a black mark on your credit record. Because, regardless of what problems you had with the goods, you borrowed money and failed to keep to the agreed payment schedule.

Advertisement