Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What green horned catapillers do we have in Ireland?

• 09-08-2022 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭

Picked a couple of green horned caterpillars off potato plant leaves. They look very similar to pictures I can find on line of the Tomato Hornworm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata but as far as I can tell it isn't in Ireland. So what green horned catapillers do we get?

Hopefully photos to follow.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So what am I? Currently eating potato plant leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well according to google lens its a 'tobacco hornworm'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not quite the same though, it doesn't have the white stripes or the odd looking horn, plus that species is native to N. America. Google Lens is very good, but it doesn't always get it right.

Still don't know what it is though, but would put my money on some kind of hawk moth caterpillar. They're usually pretty big, and mostly green, but I can't find one that matches this example completely.

Where's Mothman when you need him :)

Thats why I asked. I can find something it looks like but firstly its not identical and secondly whatever I've found doesn't seem to live in Ireland.

There's a group on Facebook called MothsIreland where a former mod of this forum hangs out. Well worth popping up your photo and I'm sure he or one of the others will identify it.

• Advertisement

Don't use facebook. I signed up a couple of years back contacted one company - in a perfectly civil manner - then got a ban. Tried to get to the bottom of why I was banned but none of the automated systems could help so can't be arsed with facebook anymore.

The two vaguely possibles don't have any recorded sightings on Diodiversity Ireland.

Some form of Sphinx moth seems to be the best I can come up with - inscrutable ;-)

OK so they have grown, changed colour and are now yellow.

So that makes it Death's-head Hawk-moth (Acherontia atropos)?

They have run out of decent potato leaves where they were so just moved them on to some other volunteer potatoes that are still doing well.

This link helps with the ID https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/deaths-head-hawk-moth

That's one huge moth, wingspan of 8-12cm!!!

Saw one once in the UK, wonderful looking moth and the deaths head is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Log this Death's Head sighting with Biodiversity Ireland or MothsIreland. From what I know, Caterpillars are rarely seen in Ireland.

Advertisement