Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Do riparian zones get excluded from your claimable grassland for BPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The new rules on this mean landscape features are included in BPS payments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I would need to plant 100 trees to get into tier 2 - was thinking of chancing tier 3.

What’s the feeling on tier 3 access? Will there be enough applications between SAC areas, commonage and lads planting 100 trees to rule out any tier 3 lads getting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I suspect that it will be most T1 that will get in this year along with some T2. Not sure if I would pay for a plan and chance it getting in if it wasa T3.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I'm in a co-op area and have been in glas and have heard nothing back from my Teagasc advisor. The acres payment would be making up 25% plus of our total farm income so I'm hoping I hear from them next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭DJ98

Going from what I was told by teagasc I wouldn't be holding my breath. Contacted a private advisor yesterday and I'm meeting him next week to do plan. Thing I don't get about teagasc is you pay a contract fee for advisors help but then when you actually need them they can't get to you. So what is the actual point of the service they provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Yea, starting to think the same. Fair irony if I didn't get into the new scheme because the government advisory service couldn't do what they're meant to do and I don't have the option of submitting it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭50HX

Exactly why I left teagasc, paying 175 a year and not using any of their service, I joined to sort out bps etc during farm transfer

Kept getting written warnings about account in arrears and needs paying....despite ringing them& telling them I wasn't renewing

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Young95

I rang my Teagesc advisor about the acres application and was told they weren’t bothering with it and to go to a private advisor. They didn’t exactly say no but was hum and haw .., highly disappointed. If I can get a private advisor il be going with them altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

That's some load of bullshit that they have no interest in doing your application. Is it any wonder most people are leaving there services. I'd be extremely disappointed if I was in your shoes

All they care about are the big dairy men tbh .. had another issue with there tams advisor before when he done a grant application for me and got me excepted for it .. but a problem came about with the department with land registry and withheld the money that I was due and I had after borrowing thousands to do grant work . Rang the advisor about appealing it and was told I was wasting my time .. I then had to go off and appeal it myself and I won the case and got the thousands I was due !! I always said if I ever met that advisor again I’d tell him he’s a prick … rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

100% agree with you, small minos with a few sucklers or drystock are no good to the big picture of milk and 500 cows

Teagasc's problem is that they needed to recruit temporary workers to do the Acres applications, however compared to 2015/16 we have full employment and they got very few applications.

The dept of agriculture made a dog's ear of it as well. There is a limited timescale and applications takes much more time.

Most large dairy operations have very little to do with Teagasc. Most 500 cow men will use private consultants as Teagasc lack flexibility to deal with them.

An application probably takes 15-20 hours. In an average county how many advisors have Teagasc got. Only half of them are linked to drystock which is where most of the ACRES applications will originate. Assuming that they do 50% and private advisors do the other 50%. They must try to get 15k applications into the department in the next three weeks.

In reality they have peen prepping plans for the last 6ish weeks. At even 12 hours per plan it's 60 full day's work for 375 advisors and that is them doing no other work.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Met private planner Friday couldn't see enough out of it to apply. He said he's only going to do the lads with hen harriers as there's too much work in building a plan for non tier 1 applications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Dozer1

No he was dead right unless I was willing to change to a far more extensive type of farming it wasn't worthwhile he's a top notch guy we drew up a plan that would suit and the amount wasn't worth drawing dept on me so apologies if I implied he wasn't doing his best its the scheme is crap for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Some ballache for the planners....

DAFM have really fùcked us on this one....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Can I ask in my naivety how is there 12 hours work involved in drawing up a plan?

Is it to do with measuring areas for riparian zones, marking dhere hedges will be laid on maps or is there a huge long complicated form to fill out etc......

• Advertisement

There will be a 2-3 hour farm visit, my understanding is 2-3 farm visits per day is the most that will be possible.

This time there will be no ryegrass swards put in as LIPP. Remember as well you will need to know what is present in a sward as positive and negative indicators to achieve scores.

After that it's a matter of getting the maps and details right. Teagasc advisors would not have the flexibility of private advisors and will not take risks. Everything will have to be right.

They are probably not admitting it but they are concentrating on Hen Harrier and SAC plans etc that are gaurantee access.

As well before any visit farm details of the farm being visited must be accessed and printed off.

Finally there will be a percentage ( and it seems it's higher this time) of people when they see what is on offer will just not go ahead with the plan.

At a education day last week the Teagasc facilitator said the Department was adamant that there would be no extension to the closing date.

Slava Ukrainii

Ah....I thought the farm visits began next year if you got accepted etc...

It's not as if they are going to see much if any of these wildflowers etc at this stage of the year... if they are coming out looking for that at this time of year it seems crazy to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sweet mother of Jesus. I have no idea how many dairy farmers use private v teagasc but it’s hardly a great example citing the 500 cow man - not that many of them around really. Average dairy herd in 2022 is 103 cows.

It was a previous poster mentioned that Teagasc was only interested in the larger dairy farmers of 500 cows. However as well many forget that they pay a graded yearly amount depending on size. Alot of them would be paying a higher advisory feed than the minimum club fee most drystock farmers pay

https://www.teagasc.ie/about/farm-advisory/advisory-services/advisory-charges/

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4 farmingsimulator

Good scheme.anytime you can get money in the post is no harm,

Is there a way you can confirm if you are a breeding waders area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Teagasc billing 450 for an application, what sort of rates are people getting of private advisor? Tier 3 so in the same situation as others, can we apply next year if there's confirmation that tier3 get in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I haven't heard of anyone having a farm visit. All visited the Teagasc office .Plan done in less than an hour

Trashed quoted 2275th forgot to ask if this included vat

• Advertisement

Advertisement