Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Your dead right not to give 2 figs about the environment, they would be better off reclaiming & draining the land and make a proper living

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭lmk123

We are indeed, that’s exactly what I was thinking in the middle of April this year when I still had nothing out on the land and 3 weeks ago when calves were down to their bellies in my “dry fields”😂 anyway it’s not exactly money for nothing either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well the conflict was that the landowners with the most advantages(in terms of land quality and scale) were collecting most of the CAP pot, don't think that was fair either. In any case the CAP is moving towards supporting Rural Developments and Environmental measures which makes sense given the expansion of the EU eastwards into the vast Agri production potential of the likes of Ukraine. Old style CAP production supports make no sense in that landscape, even if you ignored the obvious environmental damage and huge loss of farmer numbers that it brought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

The e17,500 is over the five years. Nearly impossible to get .Who needs will those troughs and gates? Fencing grants can be got under Tams. Every meeting I attended. The advisor was hampering on about how much was available. They get paid when you app!y for npis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,458 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Remember tbe words 'approx and up to''. Very few get these amounts. Its similar to Acres, impossible to hit a decent payment without seriously compromising your farming enterprise. The 17k is for tasks. I usually find unless the tasks suit you system there is nothing in it for you

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Most of those npis are exactly what it says on the tin: non-profitable.

Troughs is about the only one I could see being a benefit if you don't have them already and are drawing water in dry periods.

Some few bob in the owl boxes maybe.

The fencing rate is about half of the TAMS rate which is grossly underestimated compared to actual cost anyway so totally useless.

Also, - I've noticed in my own case that there are only a few areas where they can be taken - (I've highly fragmented holdings some of which are in co-operation zones) none of which areas suit me.

No free money there.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It's 7k max and that's getting the top payment. The rest are no interest to me for 1 reason or another.

Decided I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭lmk123

Yes you’re right it’s €7k just checked again, the rest are probably no interest to me either but I thought it was still worth a try to get whatever I can from the €7k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Grueller

This scheme works for some people and it all depends on your farm. Ihave almost 2000m of water courses. That leaves €2600 of a payment alone. I have 8 ha on an outfarm that I can put in low input grazing or whatever its called. Thats another €2000. I also have a boundary with a shared private road that has no ditch so I will plant a 160m hedge there. That is another €750.

All in I am into north of €5k and the actions all suit me. Like I said, its very farm specific whether it suits you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Not looking good. Unless people have started getting payments for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hopefully it will show tonight or tomorrow in amounts due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Are you general our co-operation, re the watercourses what has to be done to get a payments for them theirs all fenced of already is their any other measures

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Acres payment runs are due to commence next Monday, so it should be up on AGFOOD amounts due sometime over the weekend

General but in a high water status area so that put me in tier 1. Fence all watercourses either 1.5, 3 or 6m from the bank. That gets me in the door and the other 2 actions are my own choice and suit my farm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Similar here - about 200m of water course fencing and 500m of new hedging that I'll be planting alongside paddock wire. It'll give shelter and hopefully look nice.

Just need to get accepted for these actions now.

No other actions/tasks suit me or the farm.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

It actually stands for non productive investment, but I guess it means the same. Will depend on exact farm of course, but some will do quite well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have you heard of anyone receiving acceptance for NPI’s yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I’ve my advisor asked plenty of times to put in for the NPIs that maximise payments. He said no bother.

i sent him a message again to remind him as deadline in a week. The response is what one’s do I want.

if I can I’ll go with fencing off river etc,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

No I’m not in the loop at all. I didn’t apply to the first round and only looking at applying now coz I want to plant those hedgerows anyway.

It’s a good question thou for the advisor before I give him the go-ahead to apply for me. I’m assuming he’ll send out an invoice whether I’m accepted or not so I need to try tease out what my chances might be before applying

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭50HX

Nice money for those actions

What actions would suit you after these, say you dud them nxt year you'll get a one off payment but the measures must remain in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭joe35

I was with advisor today.

I've 2ha commonage so that gets me accepted.

I've 5ha of a private mountain that we don't really use. Gonna put this into a buffer zone as there is a river along it. (3,000euro)

Putting 8ha in extensive grazing (1,600)

Putting 2ha in geese and Swan (410)

10 ha in low input grassland, can get up to 400/ha for this action. Its old paddocks so should score OK, maybe get 250/300 per hectare for this (2,500-3000)

With these actions I should get the 7000 payment with minimal investment.

I might not fence off thr buffer zone as the other 3ha on the private mtn are not worth grazing.

The geese and Swan is a field I'd have closed off for spring grass anyway.

The low input. If I can get a score at all in these fields I'd be happy enough. The are fields that could do with being reseeded so hopefully the will score OK.

Any thoughts on the above. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You have that with little spend which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

You will have to fence off the 2 hectares of riparian buffer zone and the river bounding it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

I've about 50 acres - in the hen harrier area. Am I right in thinking I'm in for the €7k with no actions because of this (co-op area) but the amount I get is dependent on the score the advisor has put in for me?

I can then do some of NPI Actions to a maximum of €3,500 to increase the payment (€10,500 is the max anyone can get?).

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Aravo

Can you have extensive grazing of max 8ha on the same plot as a riperian strip of 1.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

You will have to get authorization from some half wit pen pusher to carry out NPI's.

Recurring payment every year for the 5 years. Just maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Sounds good but id check out with planner if you have to fence off the riparian zone-river as if you keep sheep , this fence will have to be a sheep proof fence which can be expensive.an electric fence will suffice if you have bovines only .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't think so. This is the text from last year (riparian buffer strips/zones in grassland) and I presume it hasn't changed for this year but your probably better off downloading the new specifications if they exist.

"Riparian buffer strips

Actions that can be selected on the same LPIS or split of parcel are:

Barn Owl nest box, Coppicing of hedgerows, Grass margins – grassland, Laying of hedgerows,

Planting a new hedgerow, Planting a traditional orchard, Protection and maintenance of

archaeological monuments – grassland, Ryegrass seed set as winter food for birds, Traditional

dry stone wall maintenance, Tree planting, Unharvested cereal headlands, Winter bird food

strip.

Riparian buffer zones

The only other actions that can be selected on the chosen area for this action (full LPIS or

split of parcel) are:

Barn Owl nest box, Coppicing of hedgerows, Laying of hedgerows, Planting trees in riparian

buffer zones, Protection and maintenance of archaeological monuments – grassland,

Traditional dry stone wall maintenance."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Has any supplier latched onto the acres actions and started advertising bird/bat boxes etc??

Advertisement