Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭DBK1

If there were zero applications for it then they would certainly try come up with something better, they’d have to.

I know it’s not going to happen that there will be zero but IMO it would be the best thing to happen for that scheme.

Its only enticing to someone that’s extensively farming already. Anyone in dairying or highly stocked will have to interest in it so it’s targeting the wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

From DAFM -

"The conservation of animal genetic resources for food and agriculture is essential to preserve ensure biological diversity, to preserve data and traits that ensure sustainable agriculture, to ensure the future adaptability of breeds, to promote the use of genetic resources in commerce and biotechnology, and to conserve genetic diversity for cultural reasons. Ireland has a number of animal breeds that are native to this country. Those breeds official recognised as a native rare breed are

• Cattle: Kerry, Dexter, Irish Maol, Droimeann
    • Equine: Connemara Pony, Irish Draught.
    • Sheep: Galway

A range of measures are available to ensure their conservation and use on farms. The primary methods of supporting these breeds is through the GLAS scheme. There are also a number of other targeted schemes such as:"

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/412da-animal-breeding/#rare-breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

ACA planners who delivered the one day "limited information day" stated that the ACA had more involvement in the putting together of "acres " than any environmental scheme previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Shetland sheep aren't Irish. The only rare breed sheep allowed is the Galway Sheep which are so rare you can't buy any....

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Like politicians, lots of groups will claim credit for guiding any new policies and schemes, but I’m guessing ACA might try to distance themselves from ACRES now that farmers are calling it out as a crock.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I can see how it'll fit the farmland and other lands of the west better alright. They've often done less reseeding & drainage and just naturally have more plant species in a given field etc. So they have a head start.

But how will it entice large farm enterprises? I thought the idea is 1) payments for results and 2) designed more to support the smaller extensive and often 'family farm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Dunedin

In glas at the moment. Have the WBC and LIPP. Didn’t bother with any of the bird boxes or sand heaps. Will continue the same for ACRES at the €200 ha non result basis.

my planner didn’t have annual fee or anything so I assume it’ll be the same for this. The days of the REPS handy money are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I am in the REAP scheme and despite 2 Dept inspections I am happy I joined . I understand that the ACRES scheme is a very poor relation of the REAP scheme . With the REAP scheme the search for the positive indicators was mainly around hedges and under grazed areas and you could choose a portion of the farm to suit your best interests. With the ACRES scheme the positive indicators have to be dispersed all over the total farm .It will be impossible to get any reasonable payment with this type of scheme . I was at a meeting recently about ACRES. We were told that any land we planted with hedging or where we moved out a fence from a river or hedge that this land was no longer considered agricultural land and similar rules to the forestry would apply

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

Incorrect on the positive indicators. It’s again a up to 10ha portion you select for inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I wonder on the coppicing what do you do with a hedge with tall trees, bushes?

They hardly want you to cut it all to the butt...and if it's just the low bits in between will it still pay along hhe full run of the ditch hedge?

I'd be wary of anything you plant not being considered agricultural land afterwards too....could you return your 100 trees land area to another use you see fit to after the 5 years (eg grazing).....

+kinda strikes me as unfair (at the risk of sounding like a whinger) they won't credit for existing hedgerows...and sort of a disincentive to seeing them as having value in terms of your pocket at least .....

You would also think someone with their head screwed on would see the need to reward benign inaction when it comes to environmentally positive features on land rather than look for actions that could diminish them......

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

New to the game here after just taking over the family suckler farm this year. In relation to the grants, am I right in saying that every farm, once you have entitlements, gets x amount through the single farm payment/bps and then all the other schemes are extra on top (acres, GLAS, organics, BEEP etc) and not all farms are eligible depending on their location, type of farm etc? The farm here is in GLAS, BEEP and the Hen Harrier scheme. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, that’s basically it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What are planners saying at the moment..

Ours said that as the T&C arent available yet no applications can be prepared, as the deadline is approaching he doesnt see he will have all of his clients completed by the deadline... We're a new client so likely not a prioroty either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭StevenToast

When is the deadline?...i thought it was November....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

My teagasc said it's basically a non runner confirmed what I already knew.

Imo if you have marginal to poor land and lightly stocked it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

I know the exact t&c are not available but can somebody give a explanation of the extensively grazed pasture measure please? Thanks. I know it's not results based and max claim is 10ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Just google acers scheme specifications and that will bring u to draft regulations.extensively grazed measure on page 46 i think.

Is the tight timeliness because govt side has to come up with a plan that attempts to please as many as they can and then it takes ages for sign off leaving you with a scheme nobody is fully sure of the rules with a deadline fast approaching etc

When I was a younger man this type of stuff used to frustrate the **** out of me😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

For those who do not get in on the first acres tranche Will glas roll over again.

That would be some kick in the nuts if it did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I'll be delighted if your thinking is right. Very much doubt it though? As most in glas would be quite happy to stay in it as it is & no one would bother about acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

I doubt glas will continue, the money earmarked for it is long gone. The best to hope for would be if the takeup of acres is so low that they're forced to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s a terrible terrible scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

It really is. I've talked with alot of the neighbors on it and none are joining. These would all have being in GLAS with small ~50acres suckler or beef setups. None of the conditions make sense to a farmer that's just tipping away at it. Theres alot of hops to go through so not worth the hassle. It's geared towards places very lowly stocked that would have spread no fertilizer for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have heard people saying that your planner will have more follow up work to do with this scheme in comparison to previous environmental schemes. Heard up to 800 euro for the planner.....is that over the course of the full scheme or per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Meanman

Anyone joining the "information session tomorrow Friday evening@730pm on the scheme which is being delivered by DAFM?? Might as well get the information anyway.

• Advertisement

Advertisement