Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recieved money on closed bank account.

Options
  • 10-08-2022 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

Paypal sent me refund to closed bank account 3 weeks ago.

I called the bank 2 times and they said it is impossible to recieve money on closed bank account and the payment will bounce back.

I called paypal and they said they don´t have my money and they gave my reference number to locate the payment.

I am not Ireland anymore and can´t visit the bank.

Any advice please ?

Thanks

Post edited by allsam18 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi allsam18,

Thanks for your post.

When a merchant sends a refund to a card on an account that has been closed the funds will go into a holding account in the branch. To retrieve the funds we would generally advise to call into a branch in person with photo id. As you are not in Ireland you'll need to speak with your branch to discuss an alternative way to retrieve the funds. Our customer service team can connect you with a colleague in the branch if you call them on +35314044000 9-5 Monday to Friday. Please ensure you have the ARN (Acquirer Reference Number) and the amount of the payment.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭allsam18

Hi,

After many calls, I didn´t get any help. They can´t give me the the phone number to Thurles branch. They don´t even search my Acquirer Reference Number. They just say refund bounced back to paypal. Can I PM You all the details ? Would You be able to search the Acquirer Reference Number to locate the payment ? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Thanks for getting back to us here, I'm afraid without account access here on Boards we would be unable to look into this further from here. We are very sorry to hear that you have received conflicting information. It would be necessary to obtain a proof of payment from Paypal, this then must be provided to the branch to investigate further. Can we ask that you send us a Private message with your full name, contact details, the amount of the refund and the branch your account was held in and we would be happy to arrange a call back from the branch.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 pruna

Is it an option for paypal to take the refund back to your paypal account?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭allsam18

No, because the transfer is done and accepted by the bank. I have called paypal 4 times, they said bank must provide me with Acquirer Reference Number that they sent the refund back to paypal, which I can´t get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement