Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance and apprenticeship

• 10-08-2022 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hello, I am currently on disability allowance and was thinking of doing a apprenticeship as a way of getting back into work. I was wondering if I did a apprenticeship would I lose all my disability allowance or would the income from the apprenticeship be treated the same as income from work where I might be able to keep a percentage of my disability allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning OP, Those on DA can take up work and retain part of their DA but there are guidelines to be mindful of, whilst you can also partake in a number of further educational schemes and retain full payment and perhaps get some additional financial assistance an actual apprenticeship is paid work in a sense, I believe. I see no reason why taking up an apprenticeship would impact you continuing to recieve your DA but I understand the type of work must have a rehabilitatiive aspect to it so this may have some bearing in relation to the type of work/apprenticeship you can do.

I'll defer to those with more experience of DA payments who will hopefully offer some advice on apprenticeships & DA

@Cherry Blossom & @Wanderer78 have offered excellent advice on DA in the past & might have more insight into DA & Apprenticeships

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ive nothing else to add to this unfortunately, but as always, id always recommend chatting to organisation such as citizens information, they can be very knowledgeable in such situations. we really should be making this easier for people on da, but the lack of knowledge and lack of information services really maintains a level of anxiety over payments, this leads to people being stuck, being unwilling and unable to move forward, those of us with disabilities have something to offer to society, we just need a little more supports than others.

best of luck op, further personal progression is extremely important for your well being, and of course can offer better financial benefits, and an apprenticeship sounds like a great idea just for that

Advertisement