If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbar or Amp?

Options
  • 10-08-2022 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice please, I’m looking to make a start on setting up a decent Home Cinema speaker system and would be grateful for advice. I have an LG OLED tv 55” playing atmos and I was stuck between getting either the new LG s95Qr or the Sonos set up. However, I am now thinking maybe an amp might be better. Something like the DENON AVRX2700 + MONITOR AUDIO MASS II 5.1 + 2 * MA CSS230 Atmos bundle. Requirements I suppose are wireless capability, Bluetooth, Wifi Google Assistant or Siri etc. I previously had/ have an old sony surround sound amp not great sound and don’t want the wires. Watch a lot of films and sports. Put off Sonos because of DTS x that's why I was looking at Lg S95. Any advice, or suggestions? What would you advise?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Jmdsk.

Thanks for the post.

The Denon 2700 bundle pack speakers will all need wires ran to them as they can not operate wirelessly.

You will in my opinion always get better sound from a wired system but if you are trying to move away from a wired system then the likes of the LG S95QR which can decode and output 9.2.5 for Atmos. Not everyone can allow for holes to be cut in their ceilings to add the Atmos speakers but you can also get some upward wiring Atmos speakers and switch out the CSS230 in celings for them. The Atmos speakers regardless of which one still need speaker cable ran to them from the amp.

The LG S95Qr is currently priced at £1699 / 1999 Euro.

The Sonos setup also do a really good job but as you say the lack of DTS x can put people off.

The only other around the price of the LG would be the Samsung Q990B coming in at £1599 / 1899 Euro

Slightly different speaker setup for this one and can run 11.1.4.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jmdsk

Thanks for your response, That's what I was worried about. looks like a soundbar. Firstly do you have them all in stock? And then between the soundbars would you know if is there much difference? The LG and Samsung you suggested. Would the Samsung work just as well off an LG Tv or be more suited for Samsung TV's? Also as I've never heard them is there much difference? Or upgrade between the LG S95QR and the older S11RG I think the older one that had google assistant? lastly, would the Sonos be worth it without DTS x? Only going off people's recommendations everyone says Sonos.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Jmdsk.

To be honest I have not heard the NEW LG or Samsung soundbars in action as of yet. Our store is pretty small and we are limited to what we can display.

I would say there will be not too much difference between the two as spec wise they are very similar but it does seem like on paper the LG would be the better of the two to go for with the LG TV.

You will get a more immersive sound from the LG and Samsung over the Sonos as they have more speakers built into the soundbar. Don't get me wrong the Sonos ARC does a very good job at reproducing an Atmos sound track and the Sonos app is so straight forward to use. Sonos would be better for playing music over the other two.

In saying that I have both my wired home cinema system and then in my living room use the Sonos Beam pair with two older Play 1's. No subwoofer and it sounds well for everyday listing. I use my home cinema if I'm sitting down to watch a movie or for my PS5.

Hope this helps a litlte.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.