Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a distressed house in Dublin

Options
  • 10-08-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I am about to put a house on the market, its in a good area of south Dublin.

Problem is, the house is a cave, no electricity, no water, looks grim.

Whats the best way to pitch it? I am in no hurry to sell, and I dont need the money.

I had it valued a few months ago at 600K.

I was thinking of instructing the estate agent... no offers below that figure, view it only appointment with carefully screened punters.

It would put off a lot of people, but it has potential.. houses on same road have gone for 800 - 850K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just put it up for sale and see what interest you get. Stop trying to know whjat you're doing, you don't... no one knows what way the market is or how it will react to your house. The only way to find out is to put it up for sale and let the estate agent do their job... They'll screen offers and present you with the information you need, thats why you pay them.

Why are you being all pretentious about stopping people from seeing the house and being free to make offers? If you don't want to accept an offer, just don't accept it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Lick of paint and you'll be a millionaire.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You can't get a mortgage on an uninhabitable property, which yours is without basic services. So you're relying on a cash buyer who's willing to renovate the property. Put it up and see what you're offered, but don't insist on a minimum bid.

If you're not happy with the highest bid don't sell, but consider what you're going to do long-term with a derelict property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Market is crazy at the moment.

You get 3 buyers who want that location, you could get a million.

You get 1 buyer, you might barely get 500k.

There are no experts. Your biggest advantage is not requiring the money. You can have it sit on the market until YOU are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I dont think a lick of paint is going to add much value.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Don't do a single thing to it. This property is only going to appeal to someone with deep pockets to do the renovations as it's unmortgeageable.

Just put it up for sale and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

You can't stop someone offering an amount below a threshold. Beyond having the house tidy + empty, and the front/back garden not overgrown, there's not much you can do to stage that house that will get you more interest. Get a good estate agent and let them do the work for you.

The 600k valuation is next to meaningless as a guide to what someone will actually pay for the house - that kind of valuation is only useful for borrowing against the house or property taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Poster was only kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There is no point in making the house or garden "look tidy" if its a uninhabitable shell.

OP, when you say "no electricity, no water" do you mean it has no supply of either or just that its been cutoff due to not being used/paid for?

I would spend the money to get power and water and potentially significantly increase your pool of people who can purchase it (i.e. to include those who need a mortgage)

Its been shut off, house not lived in for 10 years.

I have been maintaining the garden, but neighbours either side are ready to kill me, keep asking what my plans are. Ive been giving a vague answer.

I can control what offers I receive, because I will make it clear to the agent.. dont accept any offers lower than 600K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Go to a good agent and they will advise you - you are always within rights to out a reserve price on it. If there is a bit of a site you can always look to get planning permission which may add to the value and potential. A caveat at the moment is the high cost of building which may affect value, but you will not know until you put it on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Honestly if you don't need the money and are not in a hurry to sell. Just put it up for sale well above the the suggested prices by the EA. Just cause he tells you it is worth X doesn't mean you have to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

neighbours either side are ready to kill me

I can absolutely see where they're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can't 'control what offers you'll receive' - you can control whether to accept or not.

Simple process really. Whomever you engage to sell it, and how and where it is publicised as well as a bit of luck will determine the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Distressed, no electricity, no water .... sounds like a repo that you bought after the Celtic Tiger crash and the people kicked out, stripped the place before they departed. Could be wrong, but that's how it reads. If it is, well you have to sell it with that history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If I’m a good condition it would be worth 800k then I suspect it need very substantial refurbishment, bringing it up to a high BER etc and the prospect of that being achieved is do slight that you won’t get 600k. You need a cash buyer with good access to tradesmen etc which is likely to be a small pool.

Its an inheritance, a relation lived like a hermit, been stuck in probate until now.

Ive had 3 estate agents value it, all gave me a range of 575 - 625K.

Ah that's understandable so. Has to be pretty old if no plumbed water etc. I knew an old lad lived in a cottage to a few years ago and got water from a well and used a rabbit lantern for light. But he was well up a country lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Electricity cut off I thought was implied? But could be water as well, though unusual unless there were leaks inside. But may just be at simply the stopcock coming into the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP is it actually unliveable or just you wouldnt like to live there (assuming water and power are restored)?

i.e. is it weather tight, dangerous, etc?

With the cost of materials and labour, it would be too much for me to renovate.

Example - theres woodworm, including in the floor and roof beams.

I reckon it would deter most purchasers, as said above, unless they have deep pockets, or maybe a builder, who could see a way to add value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The last house I bought (not the current one I am living in) had no electicty, heating or water. Bidding war on it atr the time in 2018. Worst house in a great area.

Sounds similar.

One next door neighbour, shes an agoraphobic. Never goes out.

All you see is an eyeball peaking through the curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

struggling to see the OPs logic - with potential site levies, compulsory rental orders etc coming down the line, and just being neighbourly why not just accept whatever offers you get? whether it's 400k/500k/600k it's better than what you have at the minute which is just a cost - has the LPT been paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think most would appreciate the difference between getting 400 and 600, even after inheritance tax. I like my neighbours, but not to the tune of 200k difference in selling price.

It used to be that LPT did not apply to uninhabitable houses, not sure if that is still the case. If there isn’t, then it is costing nothing

No LPT has been paid.

What logic are you talking about?

I want the maximum amount I can get, have to pay CAT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement