Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER - E1 to B2

Options
  • 10-08-2022 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for advice. Have a standard 1970's 3 bed semi with flat roof garage/utility to side. I'm looking at externally insulating the house and attic and replacing all windows and doors (triple glazed and composite doors). Originally when purchased the BER was E1. Since then the main part of the house was dry lined in recent years (not utility/garage) and new oil boiler installed. What kind of impact would external insulation and new triple glazing have to the BER?

With SEAI grants I could go down the One Stop Shop route. Which would require reaching a B2. Would this be very expensive. I could have assessment done which would cost 850 but just looking for advice for anyone who has done similar work.

House is about 1000 sq ft. Open plan kitchen/living. Not much attic insulation currently. No concrete floors. I'm thinking if I just externally insulate and update windows and doors and insulate attic then the utility/garage will still pull BER rating down.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Del Boy

Yip, I’ve been on that trail.

We’ve just recently achieved a BER of B2 for our house following the installation of solar panels. House is a 1948, 3 bed semi which we extended. I’d say it was a similarly atrocious rating when we bought it though BERs weren’t ‘a thing’ back then.

We did lots of work. Pumped cavity walls where possible. Loads of attic insulation. Combi-condensing gas boiler. Double glaze windows with argon gas. Had a sturdy composite front door installed as well.

We put an extension on in the late noughties to make it a four bed with new kitchen. Made sure insulation spec was top class then.

While we were getting that built I got the builders to dry line the bedrooms upstairs (i.e. the original part of the house) with insulated plasterboard. Was easier while we had them in the house as the place was in sh1te anyway with the rest of the work we were getting done.

The house is very, very cozy and gas/electric bills seem lower than the neighbours but I know people say that doesn’t always compare accurately. Too early to say what affect the solar panels are having.

Looking back it was probably done on a piecemeal basis over the 15 years we are here. But that was the only way we could afford to do it rearing a young family at the same time.

This is our ‘forever house’ and I’m really, really happy with what we’ve achieved. Didn’t really avail of any grants along the way, except the SEAI one for the solar panels which is in at present.

Do it. Long term you won’t regret it.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Hey, reviving an old thread but I was wondering if you went ahead and what your costs were like?

looking at buying an E2 semi-d about the same size as your place, it’s also never been touched so would need a lot of upgrading.

did you go down the one stop shop route?

Advertisement