Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aluminium radiator

• 11-08-2022 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently have steel rads and ofch. Long term plan is to swap for a heat pump. I believe as part of that process we would swap rads for aluminimum rads.

Planning some renovation work in one or two rooms, including dry line insulation where I will probably have to adjust the steel radiator.

Would it make sense to swap the rads in these rooms for aluminum now? Can I technically have a mix of steel and aluminum rads? Will the aluminum rads perform ok with ofch?

Best Answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,964 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Heating Distributors Dublin Radiators Fires Fireplaces Stoves Fans (heating-distributors.ie) have samples in their store (Dublin), you can ring ahead to ask what they have, we replaced all ours recently with aluminium, but mostly because our old rads were a system no one uses anymore which limited changes we could make (single pipe system).

The aluminium rads will heat up and cool down faster, they can work at 35C as well (heat pump ready) providing they are big enough (i.e. output enough KW to heat the room effectively at a lower temperature). I don't believe there's any issues with running steel and aluminium together provided they are balanced well.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Cyloncity

I know very little about them but could you use trv to limit them to the lower temp they are designed to work with normally?

Is underfloor an option?

I personally don't like the look of aluminum radiators but that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks.

Upstairs rads so don't think underfloor would be an option.

I'm not crazy about the look either but trying to future proof these rooms as we rip them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dobbie

I hope this isn’t hijacking the post but We’re in the same stage of holding onto some of the upstairs rooms steel rads and sourcing aluminum rads for downstairs rooms that don’t have the UFH. However, finding it difficult to find suppliers (that are not online only) that have samples in store. We’re in the Limerick area but willing to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Most of this has gone online, Brooks here have a limited amount of demo samples, but most is just viewed from the catalogue or online.

Somebody lese might have more local knowledge, but that's my finding anyway.

Advertisement