Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 European Athletics Championships, Munich

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No no you can’t call him racist for saying racist things.

You’ll have the rest of the knuckle-draggers coming here saying stuff like, ‘but is he wrong? Can’t be racist if it’s factually correct..’ or whatever else they have to say to justify their sad existence.

Yup Izzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

That was one of the most enjoyable days of watching Irish athletes in a long time. Mageean was class, Adeleke into a major final at 19 and the star of the show Israel with an Irish record in a senior major final after a thrilling 2nd in the semi. Looking forward to Tom Barr in the morning and then Rhasidat at 9pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

Talk about a "fine line"

the exaggerated dip which ended in a fall got her the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kate O’Connor out of the heptathlon. Injured in warm up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Fantastic day for Irish athletics yesterday! Everyone had fantastic performances. Was watching them on the RTE player on my phone in work on the sly! My heart went out to McElhiney - he was in a great position at the start of the final lap but must have run out of steam, he'd a brilliant run up to that point. And Fay made great strides on his last lap. Both lads will have learned lots from that race. Really felt for Healy, she's a great runner. What a stellar performance from Olutunde!! Was a little nervous for him in the final - up against some tough lads, but he held his own and had a phenomenal run. Oluntunde and Adeleke are only 19/20 - I'm looking forward to seeing them progress in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Terrific race. Delighted for Lückenkemper in front of her home crowd. She's a very talented athlete who has been plagued with injury for the last several years. Great to see her land a significant title. It's worth re-visiting the 4x100m relay in Eugene. Her phenomenal third leg around the bend almost single-handedly won Germany the bronze medal. I actually think she has greater upside in the 200m and could potentially be a global medalist over the longer sprint.

Feel bad for Kambungi. She had it in the bag, but her form completely fell apart over the final 10m. It's very unlike her as she is usually so consistent. The British girl in third (Neita) looked mightily pissed off. Looks like she left her best race on the track in the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

A great evening of athletic entertainment, so many exciting events.

A great end to the Decathlon. A great 1,500 for Kaul for victory, it really got the crowd going. If Ehammer can improve his weaker events he can be a huge star. His throws and 1,500 need work. An easy victory for Jacob in the 5k. A great run by Fay to finish strong for 8th. McElhinney looked strong at the bell but had a tough last 300, still well done for going for it. Fay last 300 was 42, McElhinney 55.

Glad to see Jacobs bounce back after Worlds. He looked impressive but maybe not at a level that will medal at worlds? Outstanding run by Israel to get a NR and place 6th, he really delivered here. The BBC were very impressed with him. In the ladies I was dissapointed for Kambunji, she just lost her form in the last 10mtrs. A very popular win for Luckenheimer, a great end to the night. In Commonwealths and Euros, Nieta ran two very strong semis but faltered in the final. She had a few excuses lined up for her interview. It felt uncomfortable with her and Dina being interviewed together.

The UK guy in the long jump had celebrated his silver medal only to be told after, his medal winning jump was a foul. The French protested and they got bronze as a result

I was surprised to see Barr in the 400H heats but he is not in Euro Top 12 so had to do them. He looked okay but thought he had to work in the home straight. I hope he makes the final. I was looking forward to seeing Kate O’Connor compete but it was bad luck with the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

Don't waste your breath on him, he's been banned and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

News to me. RTE pays UEFA for the rights, not the other way around. Doubt if UEFA cares what happens once they get paid. RTE's obligation is to the advertisers who bought the slots, so that explanation is more plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

By the same logic UEFA have an obligation to their sponsors, Heineken, VISA etc, to maximise their reach. I'd be surprised if any UEFA contract didn't specify that games must be shown and that they must be shown on a premier station. The idea that RTE pay UEFA and then UEFA don't care what happens is old-school.

Impossible to prove either way though, without access to the contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd imagine it would be near impossible to switch the two scheduled broadcasts at the last moment. The Champions League coverage was set up as a proper RTE2 broadcast with a studio panel and everything - shoving that onto the the RTE News channel at the very last moment wouldn't make any sense.

It’s just not true that they don’t care once they’re paid. Both sides have obligations as part of the contract. Ever notice that the same advert is first and last during the ad breaks?

Sorry if it was asked or explained already but why were the swimming events being held in Italy and not Munich?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

This is correct - RTE are obliged to show the third qualifying round for the UCL on the same channel and time slot as group stage. Contracts work both ways. UEFA insist on this. As they insist that you TX the women's Euros if you wan to show the Mens Euros

It is a pity as this isn't the first time one sport has been put 'second best' to another sport. Its an argument for RTE to push for the RTÉ News channel to be HD. But as they say - Pixels cost pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

The vast majority know he is Irish and are rightly proud of his achievements.

Two different governing bodies, Two different disciplines I suspect is the simplest answer.

there are 9 sports in Munich. Swimming just wanted to do it’s own thing this time. Last time (2018) all sports (inc swimming) were in Glasgow except Athletics (Berlin)

Basically a dick measuring contest between swimming and athletics

One thing RTE2 probably should have done is show Olatunde's race on a split screen during the match (as well as on RTE News). This presumably would not have been in breach of the UEFA contract and would only have meant taking two or three minutes out of the match coverage.

• Advertisement

100% in breach of the UEFA contract. You can't even show another UCL match at the same time.

Really? I wasn't even aware of that.....goodness, they are very, very strict with their TV contracts then.

Extraordinarily strict. Next time you watch a UCL match note exactly where on the screen the advertising hoarding is during the wide shot. The boradcasters aren't showing you the first 8 rows of the crowd for aestetics. Also, broadcasters get fined when they miss an 'attacking' period of play (maybe by playing a replay) - a corner kick for example. It's mad

That answers how it was impossible for RTE2 to get out of showing the match on that channel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Same with the mens 400m

The pole finishes as the 1st fastest loser but gets lane 1 and the second fastest loser gets lane 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Irish record, over half a second off her semi final time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So much potential at only 19!

Hugely likeable in the post run interview

Ah hearing her talking there had me smiling, delighted for her.

That was a ferocious run from Rhasidat - she was clearly in third place with about 25m to go.

It's not so much that the race got away from her, as it was her fastest ever time over the distance.....more that she ran at the peak of her 19 year old abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

She was sick she didn't medal, she knows she fooked up in the heat, Lane 1 was a disaster for her I didn't expect her to even break the record from it.

She is some talent, we just have to hope the americans don't grind her into the ground, hopefully the 4*400 can get through the heats wilthout her and she gets home in one piece.

Advertisement