Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 European Athletics Championships, Munich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Literally the only Irishman to medal at any major outdoor event in the last 8 years

The noise for the women's 5000m earlier was quite something !!!!! She must have felt some buzz winning at home like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What chance does Mageean have in the 1500m final ? Probably should have won the semi but I’m just wondering what people more in the know expect ? Thanks.

The top 2 should be Muir (genuine world class) and Ennoui will likely win silver. The bronze could go to about 5/6 IMO and Mageean is one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I suspect it's just because of branding (and they've been doing it for years). Also, they are official classed as 'GER' by the IOC and not 'DEU'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only just caught up with everything now, what a phenemonal race the women's 5000m was! Absolutely thrilled for Klosterhalfen, what I wouldn't give to have been in the stadium tonight amongst that raucous crowd. Hopefully this will give her the lift she needs to be able to get back to her best, which I believe we've never really seen. Delighted for her, and of course for McColgan getting another podium finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Fourth in the Olympics as well in a time that would historically get a medal. Disappointing here though certainly, I thought bronze was up for grabs if he could run sub 48.5 in a final. To be fair, Tom will be more disappointed than any of us here.

(Mark English did get a bronze in 2014 by the way)

And that bronze was 8 years ago.

Tom has performed well at some major championships but is on the down slope now. It’s not like he’s running 48.xx regularly and then not turning up for the championships. He ran a SB at the worlds and his second fastest time was at this Euros. It’s not an underperformance for him now (unfortunately). Injuries have taken their toll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Baton problems in the 4x100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice run from Shanahan, did well to qualify automatically in front of the home favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think every country is classified by the IOC using either an abbreviation based on the English or French country name, as they are the only two official languages. So their choice was limited to something based on 'Germany' or 'Allemagne'.

Another national 4x400 record for the women. Super runs from everyone, and Adeleke was imperious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Super run from Mawdsely? Ya having a laugh? I know it's hard to take it seriously when you have that much of a lead and maybe she'll prove me wrong in the final. I'd be delighted. Let's call it like it is though. We are depending massively on Adeleke and first leg was strong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mawdseley looked like she deliberately slowed on the last straight to my (untutored) eye.

Great run by all, but amazing by Adeleke!

Becker: 52.21

Healy: 51.78

Adeleke: 49.49

Mawdsley: 52.58

0.27 between Becker and Mawdsley but one is strong and the other is bashed? Interesting

I don’t think Mawdsley slowed up deliberately myself but we’ll see what happens in the final GB, Poland, Netherlands will all be much stronger in the final so I don’t think a medal is achievable. Lowering the Irish record again would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Adeleke is obviously the class act and the main reason the record went, would it be better for the team if she was on the last leg? Becker was also very strong on the first leg handed over first, Healy was ok, but, lost ground and Mawdsely really should have been able to hold on for victory, she had a massive lead even with just 50M remaining, hopefully she was just conserving herself for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Cracking run in the 4x400 for the team. Mawdsely said on the Beeb that she deliberately slowed up to conserve energy for tomorrow night's final. Jenny Meadows had queried it before hearing the interview and when she heard that she reckons they could possibly go a second faster. Automatically qualified on position and with the 5th fastest time overall they are in the hunt if they can go another step further.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Well done to the 4 * 400 ladies. A very impressive run and a NR. Mawdsley said on the BBC she held back to conserve energy for the final. Hopefully an other NR in the final. I thought they might have a shot of a medal but I think the Top 3 will GB, Ned & Pol.

Disappointing for the Men’s 4*100, especially after all their hard work to qualify. Great to see Louise Shanahan qualify for the 800 final.

A very exciting Womens 5k last night, well done to Klosterhafen on a fantastic victory. Good to see Eilish medal again, she is pickin up a lot of silverware in recent weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

First runner starts from blocks. And in any case, it's not just about time, especially in a relay. Would you be happy to lose a 25 metre lead over 400? I know my answer. And it's not as if it was Bol against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Can't compare lead off leg times with running start times.

Becker was 2nd fastest lead off (.06 off fastest)

Mawdsley was 2nd slowest final leg (1.69 off fastest)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

That's good to hear, she is capable of better and gives us hope of improving again.

My point is that if you switch them, they both lose the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I know it was from a running start, but 49.49 from Adeleke was some going. It was an incredible leg from her watching it live, just a completely different class to every other athlete on the track at that time.

Have a bad feeling they'll finish fourth, hard to see which of Netherlands, Britain and Poland they could knock out of the medals. But you never know on the night.

The national record is great but the main thing is they got through to the final very strongly and safely and are in contention if they can go faster. Unfortunately as we saw earlier with the Men's 4x100 things can and will go wrong in relays. I thought it was fantastic how Ireland were in such a strong position at each changeover, getting there first or second reduces the risk of things that can go wrong as you have less moving parts that can get in your way in the 4x400. Even with that Adeleke had to run around an athlete for when she got the baton but did it very well.

Also meant to add great run by Louise Shanahan, class the way she stepped out (thought she could get boxed in) but meant she had clear space in front of her to run and was able to hold onto the position. Whilst no Track & Field medals secured for the team yet I think it's been an excellent championship for the Irish team so far and with potential to get even better.

Not having a laugh, at all, no. Seemed clear to me that she glanced up at the screen and slowed up a tad. Very relaxed, which is the right approach in a SF. Doubt if they were thinking of the NR at all, so that wouldn't have been on her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would definitely switch it around to Adeleke for the final leg - she will run a ferocious last lap no matter what position she starts it out in, even if she has to come from well back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed. I thought it was obvious she glanced up at the big screen and deliberately slowed down to conserve energy. Sharlene Mawdsley is actually a pretty decent relay runner and is well capable of a 51:xx leg. Hopefully, she brings her "A" game in the final. In my view, the right order for the final is Becker (hopefully a strong opening leg) to Healy (keep us in contention) to Mawdsley (up her game and keep us somewhat in touch) to Adeleke (clearly, she is the star and the only one capable of battling with Bol and Kaczmarek).

My gut tells me that best possible outcome is fourth plus a new national record of 3:25:xx low or 3:24:xx high. That would be a phenomenal outcome. Poland will bring in two very strong runners in Anna Kielbasinska and Iga Baumgart, both of whom are well capable of low 50:xx legs. The Netherlands obviously will have Femke Bol on the anchor leg. They will also draft in Eveline Saalberg, who is on-par with or slightly better than Phil Healy / Sophie Becker. Lisanne DeWitte is clearly back from injury and as we have seen, is a very good relay runner. The British team has no super-stars but are the most balanced quartet. Those three teams will almost certainly win the medals. I'm tipping the Netherlands for gold.

Great to see Louise Shanahan unexpectedly step up. She has absolutely nothing to lose in the final. If she can run sub-2 or better still, fractionally lower her own NR, that would be an outstanding result for her.

Advertisement