Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing civil death record

• 11-08-2022 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭

I have tried for some time to find the civil death record of my 3X great-grandmother, Ann/Anna Bruton, on irishgenealogy.ie. Can't find her tho her husband is there in 1872. Luckily, the parish priest kept death and funeral records for some years and both of my 3X great-grandparents are there. So I have the exact date of death--14 January 1879 in Hightown (now Balloughter), Kinnegad RC parish, Co Westmeath. Burial 16 January 1879 in Coralstown cemetery. I have tried first name only and last name only searches, wild card, all-Ireland searches and more. No results.

Is there a way to read civil records page by page in case she was missed in the indexing? Or any other suggestion? 1879 seems late for a death not to be registered at all. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, you can browse in from the main search page.

You can also change the numbers in the last section of the url forward and back.

See also Shane Wilson's (formerly of this parish) way

https://www.swilson.info/wp/?p=2105

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thank you so much. Will search now.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make either of these methods work. I couldn't find any way to go from one image to the next or to change the numbers. Shane Wilson's method didn't work for me as the record transcriptions or images in Adobe allowed no way to copy/paste. Very frustrating. Does it make a difference that my Adobe version is free? I can download images. If anyone has detailed step-by-step instructions for how to do either method, I would be very grateful.

On the other hand, I think I found her. Ann Bruton is listed as 'Mary Broodin'. Almost all her other info agrees with the record for Ann Bruton's church death/burial record--age 75, widow, lives in Hightown, Thomas Curren present at death. Thomas Curran was Ann's son-in-law. However, the date of death is given as 29 January instead of the church record of 14 January death and 16 January burial. The image does say it's a true copy of the original registrar's book, made in April of that year, 1879. Maybe a copying error?

I found the record by just searching Deaths--Mullingar reg. district--1879--age 75. No name.

I still need to learn how to browse image by image, if anyone has time to post it. Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

To move forwards a backwards a page you simply increase or decrease the value of the URL by one.

In the case of the image for Mary Broodin the URL [https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06525/4880301.pdf] ends with the digits 4880301.

Therefore the preceding page is 4880300 and the following page is 4880302.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not quite sure what you mean about Abode. When I open the pdf page, it opens in browser for me.

I go to the url and change the last number on the last section highlighed below, then press enter, it brings the page back or forward depending on what number I changed it to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Cross post with @Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you for the help. I understood the concept--just couldn't make it happen. Adobe Acrobat is the software that hosts (right word?) these records. They don't look like a normal URL and are incredibly long. I was clicking in the wrong place. It's good I had the church record with the exact year or I don't know if I ever would have found Ann Bruton lurking as Mary Broodin.

One other question, if I may. Is there any explanation for the difference in death dates? I know birth dates vary on when they were reported. Is it the same with death dates in that era?

Once again, many thanks to both of you.

Edited--I read the Catholic parish register of deaths for Kinnegad from 1 Jan 1879 til May 1879 and there is no Mary Broodin or any other Broodin. Also no Broodin in Griffith's anywhere in Ireland. A phonetic error. Just double-checking.

Post edited by VirginiaB on

Advertisement