Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a neighbour for land

Options
  • 11-08-2022 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys, I have a couple of neighbours but one particular that I would have hopes of possibly renting some land off him at some stage….. quite tight on land and would love to up number a little, whether it’s possible with nitrates etc. but that’s another matter, neighbour is in his 70s…. Keeps a hand full of cattle but is very extensive, possible no bag n out at all, he has circa 40-50ac bounding me, the field that connects us is by far the worst one he has, would need lot of money spent on it to be workable but has prospects, he let me graze this field 3 years ago but no more happend after that, I would like to buy said field as it needs a lot of investment for renting but im open to anything, what way do I put it to him without sounding like a grab as I’ve never been in such a scenario, he has children, all grew up and moved away and very unlikely to return, even if it only started with that field you’re sort of in the door if he decided he had enough farming in future, he does nothing really with said field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

No other way only direct one, tell him straight out you're worried about direction stocking rates are going and would be interested in renting/buying if he ever decides to scale back and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Don’t mention buying. Start with renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

What's the logic there I know there is something but I don't understand it

It’s a lad in his 70’s. Farming all his life. Probably has plenty in the bank. Selling has never entered his mind. And it may get his back up and then won’t rent it either.

I see I'm not a farmer you'd make a good poker player I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When you approach a fellow to buy something off him, you have to come with a strong offer.

Also he'd be stupid to sell it without advertising as you never know who's out that'd have money to burn, selling privately is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As said above, ask about renting some of it for a year at a time first. If he's interested, keep at that and see what's happening next year. He might get used to the idea and the precedent is set then.

If he's not interested, then move on. Life is too short.

Also, it might not suit you at all when you get the first few acres. The world is random and who knows what'll happen in anyone's life, never mind the changes in farming. You might be happy to get out of it after 12 months

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Exactly. Rent it for a few years so he can make a measure of you etc.

That said I can’t see him wanting to sell a field like that out of the overall farm. It’s not something you see done too often but who knows. If he mentions it to family that you are interested don’t be surprised if you suddenly see them knocking around at weekends looking after their inheritances.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Manorpark man

The field could be sold to three different bounding farmers, without going into too much detail, no access to road from other side other than through his fields, I’d give him what he thinks it’s worth, probably needs 2-3k/ac spent on it realistically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

also thread carefully, some farmers are like the Bull McCabe when it comes to land 'No concrete on my land'. A friend of mine approached a neighbour about buying 1 acre so he could extend his sheds and came back with his tail between his legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I would just say “Look if you ever Think about renting some land beat me in mind, I’d be in the market”

Dont push it but let him know you’re interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Manorpark man

asked a different neighbour for a right of way across top of field in between some of ours before, he has no land above it so be out of his way, didn’t even entertain the idea for a second or consider it, at least I’m not still wondering

Auctioneer approached me one day about a property on behalf of a developer

Said would I be interested in selling it and left it at that seemed to be a tactic

Land is different though u can be sowing the seeds of trouble with families with a question like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Tried the same as that years ago ( two outside bits long way apart by road but two fields apart as crow flies -- no go either ) At least if you know and some other opportunity arises you be better placed to decide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My tuppence worth is under no circumstances ask him for land.people can take it very poorly if an approach like that is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Years ago a lad asked my grandfather would he sell some land to him. At the time the grandfather was old and we were all living away. Grandfather said no.

But do you know what, I thought less of the lad for asking. Now some people won’t agree with that, some will say it’s just a question. But I just didn’t like it…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I agree. Just ask to rent it. If he has any reason to sell I'm sure he will ask the man renting his land.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

I suspect you missed your opportunity, if he wanted to deal with you it would have happened when you had an arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

There must be a lot of sensitive farmers around going by this thread .

What's the harm in asking if he will rent lease sell a field ?

Its a yes or no answer. If someone approached me in similar circumstances then why would I take umbrage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It might depend on how the question was put.

If someone approached you and said I'm looking to rent/ lease/ buy a bit of land for X reason and I thought I'd ask you because you're beside me you probably wouldn't be offended.

If someone approached you and said looking to rent/ lease/ buy a bit of land and I thought I'd ask you about that field it doesn't look like you're doing anything with or even if not said directly the implication was you were getting on with no obvious successor you might be offended.

It might also depend on who asked and whether the person approached and how they saw the asker. There's people in every area who would be known to be greedy for land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

My approach would be approach to would approach to rent/ lease it and after a few years drop it subtle into a conversation that your happy and if the opportunity to buy it ever came along you would be interested. It's the best you can hope for. These things take time. Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

How do you decide who are the right candidates to approach. Nobody ever approach s a progressive go ahead farmer for a field.they usually pick some half crooked poor divil they think isn't farming their land. So now you see what your saying when you approach someone.the only thing to do is put the word out you are looking for land.if you are of good standing the land will come to you. Nobody likes fellas coveting land -they didn't bother putting it in the 10 commandment because they thought everyone should bloody know it allready

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I've both approached neighbours and been approached by a man to rent an outfarm of ours. I can't see why it should be a touchy subject but it seems it can be.

Having said that I was a little annoyed because the man looking to lease our outfarm asked a second time having been given an answer the first time he asked. But not annoyed enough to have a major grievance.

I got nowhere with any of the the neighbours I approached. I can't see how you would get to lease any land otherwise because no land gets advertised for lease around home anyway.

Agree. Biggest problem with that is if you improve the land in any way (and that might just have been topping it and spraying the weeds the price almost goes up I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Isn't the best and traditional way to acquire land to simply marry into it. Simply being a very complicated business these days!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone ever lease land out, say on a 7-year lease, only to have the tenant start taking the Mick despite being politely asked not to?

The lease agreement doesn’t say anything about a review. In fact, it says very little at all.

So, does the landowner have much chance of ending the lease after, say, 4 years?

Asking for a friend. Obviously.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

What could easily happen is that if the man is semi-interested, he'll be advised to put it on the open market. Then you may easily be outbid on it.

Or even worse (happened to us), we were the highest bidder but the auctioneer advised the seller to go with an underbidder, ie someone they 'found'.

My advice would be to chat to him, let him know that you are bidding on another plot of land locally, let him know the price and then let him come to you, if he is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

With the new acres scheme coming in too will it make land harder rent? Any lad with only a smudge of interest in farming, or an older person with no successor, well they barely have to do a thing and will get a payment for it. Keeps them involved and happy, but also makes the option of renting require a very strong price.

im in the same situation as you op and and waiting to run into one man. He’s got a good job and hardly grazing the field, it’s gone wild with thistles. But I kinda do feel like if I do approach him he might think I was looking down on him. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

" he let me graze this field 3 years ago but no more happend after that"

Let's go back to that point in the story of yours. He would probably have left you have it the year after if he was happy with the deal. My father in law is 88 and still have a few suckers, a non profit organization. But he's happy. It's no harm if you are talking to your neighbor to ask, "did he hear of any local letting a piece of land as you would do with the extra few acres". It may make him think

Advertisement