Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend cannot do a postgrad in the Irish language without being charged a fortune

Options
  • 11-08-2022 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

My friend is a self-taught Gaelgóir. He taught in an Gaelscoil in Ireland for the last academic year. He grew up in Australia and studied up to MSc-level there. His area of expertise is linguistics and he is a prize-winner for same.

His parents both hail from Ireland and they left for Australia a while back. He is an Irish citizen

He wishes to pursue postgraduate studies in the Irish language. He has fulfilled all the matriculation requirements for the Irish language postgrad in NUIG. However, while he is an Irish citizen, he does not fulfil the criteria for Irish/EU-fees on the basis of not being an Irish resident for 2 years. This means that to pursue further studies in the Irish language, he would have to pay €17,000 per annum.

I was wondering if there is anything that he can do to help his case?

Thanks Guys!

Advertisement