Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on isolation period

Options
  • 12-08-2022 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I took an antigen last night as I was due to attend a wedding today and there's a very faint line at T. I took another one this morning with the same result. I'm totally asymptomatic. Online it says the isolation period is 7 days or 48 hours after you are symptom free. I'm just wondering what the story is if I'm symptom free to begin with? Do I still have to do 7 days?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

Since you had a positive test I'd say it's the 7 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Error on the side of caution do seven days, with a family occasion there are bound to be vulnerable people there and there is no point in becoming the villain of the family if it all goes pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I'd no intention of going to my friends wedding. Just wondering if I could stop isolating with a negative antigen or if I'd have to do the full 7 days. Appreciate the response.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I just go on the basis of taking the minimum risk rather than the maximum allowed where possible, so I’d be going for the seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

The guidance the HSE gave me on the phone when I got a positive PCR test but asymptomatic a few weeks ago was to do the full 7 days from the first positive test. I don't think there's any HSE published guidance for this scenario though, and I'm not sure any guidance can really help as there's no clear consensus that a negative test in this situation definitely means you're not contagious (although there appears to be a link).

In your case, I think you'll need to make a judgement call. Even with 2 negative tests, it's possible you'll be contagious during those few days, and nobody can really say how likely it is that you will be.

I found isolating with zero symptoms quite a ordeal, best of luck with whatever approach you take for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

There is no legal requirement to isolate, get out and enjoy the sunshine.

The HSE "rules" are made out to be mandatory, but they're not as they have no legal backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I took two more antigens last night and they're both negative and took a negative one this morning. Starting to think it could have been a false positive but I know they're super rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

Sounds like you may be on the good end of a short mild case. There’s a general agreement based on common sense that if you start testing negative you’re probably no longer contagious, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of studies show how how soon after testing negative you’re no longer contagious

it seems clear that you’re mainly trying to avoid spreading it, so it’s really just about trying to balance a somewhat unclear level of risk at this stage. an outdoors weekend away from crowded areas and the vulnerable is probably a low risk plan at this stage, but I’m not sure anyone can really tell you what’s right as the evidence doesn’t seem to be there one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Hijacking thread. Husband started feeling sick since Monday but only took a test yesterday morning and was positive. Hes had the full works of symptoms.I've been feeling seedy /tired since Monday evening but antigens coming back negative. Is it possible I've very low viral load so that's why not showing on antigens? Is this a good sign as maybe this is as bad as it gets for me. I wish it'd bloody show on antigen though so I knew for sure whether should be going about business . At moment I'm avoiding my mom as worried I have it, but could be for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

I don't care about the legality. My mother has cancer . It would be nice for me to know I've had covid so could have a month of visiting her without worrying about wearing a mask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement