Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refreshing a degree in Library and Information science

Options
  • 12-08-2022 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Good morning

I have a degree in Library and Information Studies, which I obtained in France 22 years ago. It's a 4 year degee, I believe the equivalent of a master. It's dated, to say the least, as there wasn't that many library management softwares at the time. In fact, most libraries if not all still used the manual cards for catalogues and borrowing management!

I need to dust out and update my degree, as I'm planning a career change. I also have a master in History of Arts so I'm hoping to eventually find a career in line with my skills. I have been working in IT for 2 decades so learning new softwares and data management doesn't scare me.

I am struggling to find a suitable course to refresh my degree. I'm not even sure where to look. I work part time and have children so ideally it'd be online, or evenings.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭sekond

The Library Association of Ireland (libraryassociation.ie) might be able to help. They may offer CPD or similar that might be what you need. Or if not, might be able to point you in the direction of courses.

Another option might be to get in touch with UCD - I know they have a postgraduate diploma aimed at people with an alternative degree, but they might also offer other courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks, that's a good starting point!

Advertisement