Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes I saw that, only 35, well 36 in February.

Has won it all as you said, nothing really left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Retiring out of choice or taking one for the club taking his wages off the wage bill and freeing up a space in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bit weird to announce your retirement mid-season with 1-2 wks notice... will he go full JT and sub off early with a standing ovation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Balague on bbc radio 5 podcast mentioned that he was probably leaving early as he was starting to be vilified in stories around Barcelona. Probably created by the club to try to get him to leave of his own accord.

I'd say yes he is helping the club in his own way. He's on a massive contract and costing a lot of money. Money the club hasn't got. If he leaves now, he'll be a hero and there is talk he might try to return to run for the presidency some day.

50m he has left on his salary it seems which includes a heft amount of back payments, which is a huge amount of money.

Last year he said that "“I will retire at Barça, but never as a substitute”

“I’ve always said that there would not be any other team after Barca and that’s how it will be"

A couple of weeks ago Sport newspaper reported that the club were considering allowing Pique and Busquets to leave in order to help finances.

So I'd say it partly him realising that he wont get his place back, partly the bad PR he has had due to refusing to take a pay cut and partly the club asking him to leave.

Its been a rocky few months for Pique , Shakira divorced him in June after he was caught with a 23 year old student who he is still dating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What awful referring

ref just wants to even up the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think the Fekir one was a red. The ref seems to enjoy being the centre of attention.

mg another red card

• Advertisement

Crazy game.

That Gómez tackle was more of a red than Fekir

What a hit from Gudelj. Not the first time he's done that this season.

It ends 1-1. Gudelj unlucky not to be the match-winner. Good save from Bravo at the end. Edgar Gonzalez impressed me at the back for Betis.

Madrid in action tonight away to Rayo at 8pm, needing to win to go back above Barca.

Rayo take the lead with their first attack. Nice finish by Comesana.

1-1. Modric from the spot after Asensio fouled.

2-1 Madrid. Militao's header turns it around.

2-2. Alvaro Garcia blasts it past Courtois after poor Madrid defending. I thought Rayo heads might drop but that's a great response.

3-2 Rayo via Trejo's penalty. Courtois had originally saved it but replays showed his feet were ahead of the line. This is a great game. Over 20 minutes to go.

Full-time and Madrid suffer their first defeat of the season. Kroos and Benzema were missed badly. Palazon, Alvaro Garcia and Fran Garcia impressive for Rayo. It means Barca stay top. They're away to Osasuna tomorrow.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

Rayo were fantastic tonight. Really got in the faces of Madrid and didn't let them settle.

Having said that, Madrid were poorest I've seen them this season.

• Advertisement

Osasuna lead Barca 1-0. Madrid need a favour and that's an encouraging start for them. Game is live on ITV4.

Lewandowski sent off. A second yellow for leading with an elbow. Things just got a lot harder for Barca.

Probably could have been a straight red judging by the replay. Looks like he has a look before he makes contact.

Pedri has scored at the start of the second half. Interesting half coming up.

Pique has been sent off apparently for words with the ref. He was on the bench. This was supposed to be the last game of his career.

2-1 Barca! Raphinha with a super header. Can't believe Osasuna have blown it.

Full-time. Big result for Xavi that in the circumstances. Barca guaranteed to go into the World Cup break on top.

Mallorca beat Atletico 1-0. Muriqi with another goal and he's having a super season. Pleased for Rajkovic as well who made some good saves. He was one of Ligue 1's best keepers the last few years and he's carried that into La Liga.

I see Sevilla had 2 red cards as they lost to Sociedad. That's 3 red cards in their last 2 games. Those Sampaoli teamtalks must be wild.

• Advertisement

Madrid with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Cadiz. It should have been more straightforward but Modric missed a sitter for 3-0 after Vini Jr put it on a plate. Then Cadiz scored at the other end after Courtois fumbled. Cadiz nearly nicked a draw late on with a chance from a header. Now a 2 point gap behind Barca going into the World Cup break. Kroos made the first goal and scored this beauty:

I'd say Ancelotti is delighted Kroos gets a few weeks off for the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Apparently Guti has been having a go at Benzema for missing the Madrid games.

He said that Messi and Lewandowski are playing for their sides, even though the World Cup is looming.

He's expecting to see a fully fit Karim line out for France in 11 days.

I reckon Benzema would have played the Madrid games had the World Cup not been on the horizon. I'd expect him to start for France without issues. Good news for them but I can understand why Madrid might be upset.

Had a look at highlights of Atletico's 2-0 win over Elche. Morata has a shot that loops up and into the goal but he doesn't see it as he's on the floor pretending to be injured and looking for a pen. He only realises he's scored when he sees Griezmann celebrating. Worth checking out for the delayed reaction.

Speaking of Griezmann, not a fan of the new hairstyle:

Madrid back in action tomorrow at 8:30pm away to Valladolid. Benzema tipped to start. Wonder if Modric and Tchouameni will be involved...

Lahoz continued his card-happy antics from the World Cup for Barca's draw with Espanyol. He might be the worst, high-profile ref going.

This is a great story unless I suppose you're a Cadiz fan:

Sad what has happened to Deportivo. One of Spain's big clubs when I was growing up.

Villarreal beat Madrid 2-1. It looked a deserved result based on the highlights. Chance for Barca to go 3 points clear if they win their next game, but they have a tricky trip to Atletico. ITV4 showing the game tomorrow at 8pm.

2 absolutely crazy penalties given in the Villarreal Madrid game yesterday. If those are what passes as penalties now, I give up. Its obvious there is no such thing as an accidental handball any more. Its baffling. VAR isn't helping at all, still being given.

Another big talking point from yesterday's game, 1st time in Madrids 120yr history that there wasn't a Spanish player in their starting 11.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Barca leading Atletico

Albert Ferrer is a chore to listen to sometimes. Anything that goes against Barcelona is nothing short of conspiracy with him sometimes

• Advertisement

Dembele puts Barca ahead. Great play by Pedri in the build up. Atletico want a foul for Gavi holding off Reinildo but not sure there was enough in it.

La Liga were one of the first leagues to give a penalty for the ball hitting the arm irrespective of it being intentional.

Its a stupid policy but one they have been implementing for at least 5 years.

Savic and Ferran Torres given reds for a pretty heated scuffle.

It ends 1-0 to Barca. That's a good result for them to dig out as Atletico probably merited a point. Ter Stegen with some good saves and Araujo made a big clearance off the line from Griezmann. Barca now 3 points clear at the top.

I see it's that time of the year again for La Liga, when they sell their souls to the Saudis for a quick buck.

2 cup semi finals, then final being played out there.

After all the talk about the horrors of the Qataris, but sure the Saudis are great guys.

I don't know what Barca Fans think about Ferran Torres but i'm unsure what he brings to the team. The good thing for him he's only 22 (23 in Feb) but if he was older and had these types of performances, he'd be long gone

I watched a bit of the games. They don't seem very well attended. Noticeable empty seats and has the feel of a pre-season game. There's a Clasico on Sunday so maybe that will have a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Iirc, the deal is worth €120million over five years. €20m is used for prize money and the rest goes to the Spanish association. There is no doubt whatsoever among Spaniards about the money-spinning endeavour this is. Rubiales is another in a long line of brass-necked football administrators and those on the gravy train have no interest in him going anywhere. There has been discussions about the deal but he just points to the money and says it'll be invested in Spanish football.

Iirc, I think RTVE (the Spanish RTE) refused to bid for the TV rights as a form of protest but it hasn't changed anything. I have seen some players question it being held in SA, as well as its format, but I imagine they are contract-bound to not.go too far.

For what it's worth, I don't see people being too interested in it, most just want La Liga back.

Lovely finish from Gerard Moreno. Nice to see him back in form.

Gabri Veiga of Celta looks an exciting prospect. Only 20 and seems to be becoming one of their key players behind Aspas. 4 goals and 2 assists for him this season.

Barca leading Madrid 2-0 at half-time in the Spanish Super Cup final. Gavi with a goal and assist. Lewandowski looking dangerous and got a goal. Madrid disappointing and Camavinga struggling to have an impact.

3-1 Barca at full-time as Xavi gets his first trophy. Madrid were well beaten on the night. Think Madrid need a new LB as Mendy doesn't look up to it any more. I've heard Fran Garcia being linked with a move back. Tchouameni and Alaba were missed as well. Barca looking very good right now. Gavi MOTM. Pedri, FDJ and Busquets impressive as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Madrid didn't look bothered. Didn't try a leg all night.

Seen Davies at Munich linked. He would fit a Madrid left back style. Very attacking.

As for the game, I think Modric and Kroos are starting to look their ages, especially when playing against the youngsters. I wouldn't say they weren't trying. Replacing these 2 guys, especially Modric, should be a priority for madrid, as well as a replacement for Benzema.

What a volley from Benzema. Beautiful technique. Really important Madrid don't drop points after Barca's earlier win.

Full-time and it ends 2-0 to Madrid. Nice goal by Kroos off the bench. Camavinga definitely the MOTM; did brilliantly in the DM role. Rudiger and Militao strong in defence too, and Courtois was there when needed.

Interested to see who Ancelotti picks in midfield for the Copa del Rey game with Atletico on Thursday.

Crazy VAR decision in tonight's game. They just gave a pen to Almeria against Valencia for a Gabriel handball that was the result of a ricochet following a slide tackle he made. Thankfully justice done as Ramazani fired wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unbelievable goal from Rodrygo for Real to level things up against Atleti in the Copa Del Rey. Well worth seeking out, incredible feet to dribble through the box round 3 or 4 before slotting it in.

Sociedad keeping Madrid goalless at half-time in the Bernabeu. Remiro with a key stop from Vini Jr before the break. Le Normand doing well in defence for the visitors. If Madrid fail to win this, they'll be 5 adrift of Barca.

Full-time and it ends 0-0. Remiro denied Vini Jr with several good saves. Sociedad defended well and were worthy of something. Le Normand, Zubeldia and Zubimendi solid. Rodrygo and Vini bright for Madrid. Camavinga good at LB aside from one moment when Kubo got the better of him. I hope Sociedad make the CL as they're a good watch. They didn't have David Silva or Mikel Merino today either. Imanol Alguacil doing a grand job with them.

• Advertisement

Madrid vs Valencia is live on ITV4 tonight at 8pm. Big game for Madrid considering they go into the match 8 points off Barca. Interested to see how Valencia players respond after the club parted company with Gattuso.

What an awful awful var decision

Appeared Rudiger had given Madrid the lead with a nice header but VAR chalks it off for a Benzema hand in Musah's face. Looks a harsh call.

What a hit from Asensio.

And Vini Jr. makes it 2-0. Looking good for Madrid now.

Disgraceful challenge from Gabriel on Vini Jr. Deserved his red. He was born in Brazil as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement