Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development - Rear Garden Flooding

Options
  • 12-08-2022 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope it is a quick question. My neighbours and I are facing issues with back garden drainage on our new build estate.

After the rain, there is a lot of ponding in the gardens, which can take hours to drain away. Other neighbours have it bad enough that they have had to lay pallets just to walk on it.

The developer has said a drain under the back garden is around half a metre deep. Other neighbours went digging for it and could not find it.

If there is a drain, the soil is not helping. It is full of stones and very dense. I dug around a 2-metre square patch, down to a depth of 10cm and got a full blue IKEA bag of stones. I also found plastic bottles, cement bags, cable ties, etc.

Of course, poor soil seems to be what developers do with gardens, but the drainage is more concerning since it does not seem to work.

Are there any requirements for developers for garden drainage?

Pre-snag, one buyer copped that under the topsoil was this stone filled clay, and the developer relandscaped the garden. The rest of us did not catch that. Since the topsoil has given way to poor soil and drainage.

Anyway, I feel there is nothing we can do, but I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I heard the last house in the run is the worst, it's where they bury all the builders crap. What you're experiencing is fairly typical I'm afraid. House behind mine has had flooding issues in their front garden for 25 years, getting a new driveway and sorting it out only this month. I dug up my front and found similar to you, broken masonry, banding, plastic, bricks, parts of blocks, cavity wire tie etc.

Unless you catch it during snagging I'm wondering if you have any comeback and can approach the builder about this? Hopefully others will comment shortly. Assume the builder did nothing or didn't bother, sorting that out may be your expense unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks Mike, that is my feeling too. The developer has started another project in the next field, so they can't scarper.

I'd be curious whether garden drainage is a planning consideration. The developer say its not, and that this drain that no one can find was put in by them to help with drainage. They make it sound like a courtesy, I can't imagine they'd bother unless they had to.

The topsoil on the lawn was a blanket for the stones. I'm trying to see if there is a small claims court route to getting some issues fixed.

Advertisement