Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good veg to plant in August

• 12-08-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for vegetables suitable for planting this time of year? Planting will be outside. Have enough lettuce already.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you can get plants already started then chard, broccoli, Kale and leeks could work. I think you might get away with seeds of Sweedish turnip/swede if you planted them quick but they might not get to full size. Also think the best time to plant cloves of garlic to get full developed bulbs early next summer is September.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Japanese overwintering onions. Seed now or sets in October.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭jackboy

Thank you. Might give the leeks and kale a try. Had not heard of those Japanese onions before. Might try a small amount to see how they go.

Japanese onions are really worth the effort if you have the space. The main thing about them is that they provide an early crop of onions.

Others which are really catch crops you can sow throughout the growing season

Paj Choi

Radish

Spring Onion

Rocket - better than lettuce

Lambs Lettuce - a lettuce but still good to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 irenatriplett

Fast growing things like kale and radishes will be fine. According to gardeners world on Friday you can also plant dwarf French beans this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 miaramaciotti

Some vegetables that are suitable for planting at this time of year outside, and which would make a great addition to your garden, include spinach, kale, carrots, beets, and peas. These vegetables are cold-tolerant and can withstand lower temperatures, making them ideal for early spring planting. They also grow relatively quickly, so you should be able to enjoy fresh produce in no time.

Advertisement