Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't good bands ever play Cork anymore?

Options
  • 13-08-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Since the Páirc was redeveloped we have had some litany of has-been or shite artists play Cork with Westlife being the current custodians. It got me thinking about when the last time a really top serious band or musician played Cork. I'm struggling to think of anyone major in the last ten years.

I was looking back at the list of bands that played Cork in the 80s and 90s and there are some major names. Everyone from U2 to Michael Jackson, Oasis and the Prodigy. U2 used to play Cork on all of their tours up until Popmart.

Why was it that Cork suddenly stopped becoming a place big bands would play and is there any reason for it? Are Westlife and Elton John really the best we can hope for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭BagofWeed

Its a very 'middle of the road' scene in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

There are not many acts who can sell 40000 tickets in a regional city. The event centre may prove to be a game changer (if it ever gets off the ground) - have heard nothing about that for months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

What's your definition of major or non-shite? In the last few weeks there was Elton John and Ed Sheeran.

Surely both of those are serious musicians?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Severe lack of medium size venues in Cork. Back in 2008 you had The Pav, The Savoy, An Cruiscin Lan, The Opera House. Out of that lot we really only have The Opera House left.

Yet another issue caused by this countries continual focus on centralising everything in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The 3 arena holds 9-13k. By far the biggest Indoor one around.

Vicar St. 1-1.5k, gaiety and Olympia similar. There are no medium sized ones really at all unless 1k people attracts the big bands? Don't think that's the case. There's been a lack of 4-5k venues in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I quite like Elton but tbf, he's a nostalgia act. I think Sheeran is for people who are easily pleased, there's not much depth there..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Pav is supposed to be coming back into use.

What is the Savoy even used for these days? The upstairs part.

A lot of places that were used for events in the past are simply lying idle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Sounds like a bit of Music snobbery on Op’s part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

I don’t see how U2 or Oasis you were lusting after in your OP are any different tbh. All mainstream blah surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The problem is there are no new outstanding bands or artists who will last for the next 30 -50 years. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band were the last great band that performed in Cork in 2013. Thay will be back in Dublin next year,nearly all of them will be in their early 70's, but will still probably do great shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What do you want? All the bands you listed were popular in their time.

Popular bands are playing Cork every Summer.

George Ezra, Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran, Gerry Cinammon to name a few.

What are you looking for that isn't an oldies act?

Don't think that was me bud. I'd close the curtains if U2 were in the back garden. However, Oasis are broken up with years, chances of them playing again are almost nil. That would be huge if they were to make a come back.

Anyway, Limerick even gets some acts that Cork doesn't get, not sure if Cork people actually support gigs? Look at the jazz fest, its a jazz with almost no Jazz in it. The biggest indoor venue in Cork, the Opera house did nothave 1 jazz acta at it the last time. The line up was for people who are easily pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

There's quite a few issues here...

Firstly, as has been said, there's very few Clubs/medium size venues in Cork. The Opera House is about it and bands looking to book the venue have to compete with pantos and plays that run for multiple nights so will obviously get priority.

Secondly, let's not forget that Cork is a small place. Cities with the equivalent population in Germany are places most of us have never heard of. Its not going to make or break an international bands careers to play or not play Cork.

Thirdly, it's expensive and inefficient to bring all of an acts equipment and busses to Ireland in general. American bands usually begin or end their European tours in Ireland for that reason. The equipment has to come by ferry and I've had tickets to more than one gig that was cancelled because the sea conditions were too bad for the ferry to run. For a lot of smaller bands, the maths just wouldn't add up and they would just play extra dates in the UK instead.

Fourthly, as others have said, there just aren't as many new big bands outside of the pop/vanilla/people pleasing/safe for 96fm type acts (and fair play to all of those). There's no modern equivalent of Guns n' Roses or Nirvana or even Oasis in their hey days in terms of popularity. Heavy metal festivals are the same. The headliners are always bands in their 50s at least.

It would be great to have a venue like Vicar Street in Cork but unless you had busy gigs four nights a week it wouldn't be financially viable.

I'm sure there's other factors too but when I was involved in the music scene in Cork, these were the main factors.

People will whinge when the jazz is actually jazz.

People will whinge when there's non jazz acts in the jazz. Can't win.

Most people have their minds made up and think jazz is the Fast Show parody of jazz and moan that they don't like it. It's like thinking pop music is all one thing. Ignorance is what you're dealing with really.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

The jazz festival is one of the biggest in Europe, just because one jazz fan who is a music editor in the IT complains every year about it doesn't mean there is no jazz at it. Plenty of authentic, real jazz at it. As for more gigs in Limerick, ah seriously there is no comparison, absolutely none. There is only one music venue in Limerick, one, Dolans on the dock rd. There are more gigs in Cork on a weekend night than you would get in a few weeks in Limerick, seriously there is no comparison in terms of volume or the number of venues.

Over the last few years I have seen everyone from Massive Attack to New Model Army. Going back further everything from U2 to The Fall to Prodigy to Sonic Youth. Going forward though we need to recapture some of the typical touring schedule for Bands which was Belfast, Dublin and Cork. We need the event Centre for that though, any news on it? Anyone?

I really think the fringe could do more for jazz that would appeal to a younger audience. You've got the likes of Kamasi Washington, Thundercat etc that appear on loads of hip hop albums and they awesome musicians. Also, the likes of floating points, Bonobo who would appeal to more electronic jazz fans.

I personally have gone to gigs in Dolans that never went to Cork, i'm sure others have too.

We need more of the likes of the bands you've mentioned, a lot of vanilla seem to be coming to Cork.

It would be really odd to have, say, a classical music festival that wasn't all classical, a country music festival that had non-country acts.

But somehow a jazz festival needs non jazz groups to be viable?

A lot of the acts on for the jazz are for the musically illiterate, ie Jenny Green etc in the OH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cork is a risk, they'll book safe pop acts or nostalgia pop acts. I went to Elton John, enjoyed it but I wouldn't pay for it, most people I know had free tickets. Ed Sheeran not my cup of tea but can see the attraction, I have no idea how people pack out for Westlife though.

Aging female fans and their kids/grandkids? Safe pap and safe crowd.

'The Opera House is about it and bands looking to book the venue have to compete with pantos and plays that run for multiple nights so will obviously get priority.'

All seated venue too which isn't suitable for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I thought they can take out the seats downstairs for certain gigs. Could be wrong🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

They did it for jenny greene,savoy closed believe only retail planned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Another example of gigs going to Dublin and Limerick and not going to Cork. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I would most certainly go to this if it was in Cork

https://nialler9.com/animal-collective-for-dublin-limerick-shows/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Regarding The Opera House, apparently it's a hassle and costly to remove and put the seating back in. A cost that they pass on to whoever is using the place. Perhaps taking the seats out for several weeks every year and catering for people who are not kids or pensioners might be an idea? But they've never shown much interest in doing that. The Halfmoon was a great spot back in the day, but was terribly run and they never seemed to make any money out of it. I've heard it's not coming back and is only used a storage area. Which is back to what it used to be before they spent all the money completely renovating it.

Since it was renovated Cyrpus Avenue is a brilliant spot. Much bigger, with a high ceiling, higher and bigger stage and air con. And you won't find better sound at any venue of similar size in Ireland. Hopefully they will continue to put good touring bands on there as they've always done, despite many of them being poorly attended. For a University town, Cork has a tiny alternative crowd, which is a shame. I've seen world class indie acts in town perform to 30 people.

As for stadium acts, I'm not really bothered. The music industry is a shadow of it's former self. It's shrunk. The industry isn't interested in investing in real talented artists anymore. Instead, X factor type pub singer acts are pumped into peoples brains by PR companies via radio and people buy into it to the point that something like Ed Sheeran has now played PUC about 5 times. Last week a pretty piss poor (even at their height) boy band years after their sell by date managed to sell out two nights down there. Main stream pop music is moribund. It's just shite and legacy acts.

• Advertisement

Forget what I was saying, jazz has loads in it for me!

Saw Alabaster DePlume the weekend just gone at another love story. Will be epic!

Advertisement