Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer switch

Options
  • 13-08-2022 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi All,

Currently we keep our immersion on all day on sink. We do not use bath mode.

However we would like to use bath mode in the morning only before getting up, and sink the rest of the day.

Is there a switch that can switch between sink and bath mode on timer on the market instead of having to switch between modes manually?

Maybe modern switches do that these days as standard? I am not sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

I hope you don't mind me asking a quick side question here. The Irish have a fear of the immersion like vampires of garlic, but I have a neighbor who told me he left his immersion on for all one summer and didn't notice much increase in his bill. This was years ago when electricity wasn't a mad price. Have you ever done a price/usage comparison between leaving it on all the time and not?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have a very modern, integrated insulation, tank, and a properly functioning thermostat, the tank should lose so little heat that the immersion won't actually be on that much.

Its the old bare copper tanks with maybe a half-fitted aftermarket lagging jacket that are being heated to 70+c that cause people to be scared to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

Have not done such a comparison, no sorry.

Anyone know the answer to original question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Those type timers are close enough to what you're looking to do

You'd benefit more if you have a cheaper nite rate for the bath element

Hmm, I don’t know. Nothing on it indicates it does what I want?

• Advertisement

You're looking to heat the water in the morning with the bath element and the sink element daytime

That's what they're designed to do basically

You're looking for some custom setup that's not standard , the above is a standard setup and roughly what you're looking to do

Ok thanks. What is the standard setup? Do you mean they are designed to heat the water on bath/sink for a standard length of time that cannot be changed by the user?

Heat the cylinder before you wake up with the bath element on your dual immersion, that's a fixed time length

Top up the hot water during the day using the boost timer (sink), up to 2 hrs at a time

Not saying that's the only solution, there's probably other ideas and other heating options

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

There is a very simple solution. Just get two timers and wire each element separate. You can have each on for the required time.

Timeguard TS900N Immersion Heater Time Controller : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

That's what I was thinking and would be the simplest solution

• Advertisement

That’s a good idea, thanks. Might end up doing that.

i’d find it hard to believe there isn’t a switch out there made to do what I want though. Is there something basically wrong or difficult about what I want to do… that I am missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hmmmm, don't like that myself. The reason is you could end up with both immersions on at the same time. So the cabling and fuse would need to take that into account and how does the thermostat work - I know you wire in on the neutral. However if the thermostat trips on the hand basin then the main bath element won't come on until some water has been used or the temp drops and you need to make sure that both elements don't come for other reasons. Firstly the cut out will probably trip off and stop both elements because of over heating and the water will heat quickly at the top and then trip so you get hot water for the basin and warm water further down even though the bath element was on - if the trip doesn't trip.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Are you aware is a thermostat on the element? water cannot over heat, if stat faulty power trip. I never heard of an element on a hand basin where can i get one of these.

I agree with you its not ideal but its a solution.

Are you aware there is a thermal cut out trip switch along side the thermostat or built in to it. I'm fitting a new element at home this week I'll take a picture.

I'm not really interested as i was just replying to op, i am guessing your element has two stats from what you say.

Nope one stat and a thermal cut out which is fairly standard. The water is unlikely to over heat but running at nearly 5KW instead of 3KW could easily overheat the top of the boss where the thermal trip is attached and increase the chance of tripping. The one below is easy to reset some are built into the thermostat and don't have an external reset.

Ya can't do the 2 timer setup

Won't work and as said ya can have 2 on together and overloading supply and stat

Immersion switch and timer i linked above change over from bath to sink so only one heater on and runs off a 2.5

Thanks Kirk, so what is the fixed time length?

Read the link I dunno 4hrs or something

You have to changeover from bath to sink the switch above will do that

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

That would be me...must get it changed

• Advertisement

Post edited by The Continental Op on

I read the link, wouldn’t be asking otherwise. Just thought you had one. Thanks for the info.

I have not seen this type of element, i would be interested to see the cables inside and do not think they will be capacity to run an element.

It looks like like what i call dry run device, don't know proper name but really earth device.

I still think my option best but be better have timers in attic or locked in box so timers cannot be adjusted, i do not think double feed do any harm short term but you want to be separate long term as that's purpose of exercise.

Is your attic directly above?

I had to search and check

Off peak time is adjustable depending on the water volume I assume , that's just a standard option I'm familiar with

A plumber or someone else may have better ideas on heating or other options I dunno , those 'economisers' or whatever not too familiar

You cannot do that 2 timer setup whatever else u contemplate , easy overlook, thought of it myself initially in response to your requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP asked:

Is there a switch that can switch between sink and bath mode on timer on the market instead of having to switch between modes manually?

There are dual timer switches out there which will control the two (Sink & Bath) elements but there are restrictions on when the Bath element is activated. Any timer which talks about 'Economy 7' is hard wired to only allow the bath element to be heated during off-peak hours. And the 'Boost' button will ony activate the Sink element.

All of the timers that I can see which give the user full control are single channel timers only i.e. you still need the Sink/Bath switch.

For example, www.sangamo.co.uk have a dual timer but the user manual says the following, note the last sentence.....

This product differs from a simple time switch as it has programs built in that match with Economy 7, Economy 10 and Eco 20:20 electricity tariffs. This ensures your tank operates during off peak times avoiding expensive peak use.

As such this controller is not freely programmable, you can minimise the program times within your off peak period but not go out with it

Advertisement