Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dieppe - 80th Anniversity of 1942 Raid

Options
  • 13-08-2022 5:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am reading the accouunt of the Dieppe Raid (August 18th 1942) in new book, Operation Jubilee: Dieppe, 1942: The Folly and the Sacrifice by Patrick Bishop. The author attempts to be fair to the participants of this operation and has written an interesting sketch of the strengths and weaknesses of those involved: especially Mountbatten. A central theme seems to be that military operations that occur for no practical political purpose, as this was, can more easily drift into a disaster, as the Dieppe raid did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

While Dieppe as an operation was a massive Allied failure, it’s interesting that one part of it, Lord Lovat’s 4 Commando achieved their objectives. taking out a German coastal battery, and made it back to Britain with relatively minimal casualties.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._4_Commando

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wasn't this the raid that the Canadians, who had been hanging around England unoccupied, insisted they be part of and of whom a heavy price was paid?

Have been reading about about it recently funnily enough and read that the beach was stoney which impeded tanks or machinery. In fact I think all tanks had to be abandoned?

But surely they would have done reconnaissance and studied the conditions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It was indeed, but the reports were downplayed as it was felt that the mission objectives (such as they were) overrode the risk. This decision seems to be a type of litmus test about Mountbatten: those who disliked him place the blame firmly on his shoulders whilst his supporters blamed his subordinates for not bring the reports to his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I don't know much about Mountbatten but I have read that he was incompetent, he loved dressing up and being seen in fancy military unform (But that would apply to most royals I reckon. Prince Andrew and Harry and indeed the whole lot of them just love the uniforms and the attention). He also was pushy I believe wanting a family member to be married to Diana and also wanting his name to taken by the Windsors. A snob of the worst kind. But Dieppe was Canada's Waterloo. I think also much animosity from the Canadians at those huge losses. But Churchill must have approved of the raid?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'm on the fence on Mountbatten's personal qualities as the sources are akin to marmite on him: love/hate. However, the Canadian's themselves prior to the raid were very keen to be involved according to the book. On Churchill, he needed a morale booster for domestic consumption and seems to have regarded Montbatten as a protege, so was inclinced to approve the raid for those reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is a recent book out in which it is claimed that Dieppe was in reality a cover operation for an intelligence raid which was successful. That the primary obective of the raid had nothing to do with intel-gathering on landing capabilities.

I think it's a bit of a stretch, but I am willing to accept that there may have been a dual/attached mission. I engaged the author on it on Facebook, as I recall, and his arguments weren't weak, just not what I would find convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

Think I read the same book.

I'm far from knowledgeable on Dieppe but don't remember hearing or reading this take before the book in question.

Seemed to be offered asa justification for the Canadian losses given their senior command at the time had been pushing for their troops to see action.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I p am willing to consider that it is the result of newly uncovered archive information. I have done it myself, run into material in the archives which contradicts decades of prior professional writings. However, I am less inclined (without having read the book, I jus Thad an FB exchange with the author) to agree with him that the sole “go” factor was the intel requirement. But again, I haven’t read the materials, so I must consider the possibility of it being correct.

Advertisement