Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times looking for Landlords to have their say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There are quite a few there. The landlords giving reduced rent need will always suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

i really miss the comments section in the IT. Think the paper is diminished without it. The Telegraph, Guardian and The Times all allow comments. Anyway the comments on this would have been fantastic, I’d say what was printed was just the tip of the iceberg. No doubt will all fall on deaf ears. Years demonising small landlords and patronising them with the ‘ Mom and Pop’ crap.

Small landlords giving their tenants notice only became a problem when the accommodation shortage kicked in, possibly triggered by the ban on bedsits. Not their decision but they’ve been made to pay. And still most small landlords continue to have good relationships with their tenants and this would continue into the future if the State would back off. As it stands, with the threat of not being able to get possession at all in the future, many are rightly bailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Housing99

It doesnt matter, landlords will always be hated because they have a class based position of authority over people.

Irish people dont want to rent, its against our cultural norms. It was the norm for most of the last century that anyone work could buy a house and everyone else got social housing. Renting is for new arrivals and students and temporary. Unless we either change the cultural perspective on renting or subsidise home ownership to a level that the average income can buy the average house we will never get out of housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 28 somewhere45

Main reason for why I cancelled the subscription I had. The redesign sucked ( which included comments ).

But on topic we are just about to serve notice on our tenant. As soon as notice is served we are putting it on the market.

The last tenant before that was a utter nightmare and moaned about everything, calling all hours, would break chairs, doors etc etc. In the end she got a counsel house and we were delighted to see the back of her.

Too many scary potential scenarios could come into effect and its just not worth the risk of even more crazy anti-landlord laws being introduced anymore.

Never made a cent as the rent cap really messed us up badly ( our own fault for not paying attention and timing ).

Like other mentioned in the IT.

Accountants’ fees, RTB registration, repairs, exorbitant tax and regulations, no rights, management fees etc etc. Its time to get out. Never again.

• Advertisement

Can I ask you a question for all landlords? Why should we care you are leaving the market? It will just mean the government will have to ideologically change direction and go back to mass public housing and massive subsidies on home ownership.

The problem with renting is eventually a life long tenant will become homeless, that is in retirement when they can no longer pay the rent. We just have no way for renting to be secure

Also if you never made a cent, is the house worth less or the same now as it was when you bought it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's market value is irrelevant unless one actually sells it. Then CGT is applicable.

Its not though, a property is an investment

And its absurd and disgusting that we have moved our provision of the need of a roof over ones head to be provided by people who can afford to own more than one asset profiter by charging a premium to people let down by the states duty of care to house them and denied the chance of building their own equity for a lower monthly fee than rent by restricted lending rules

The landlord v tenant issue is an generational issue between asset rich boomers and a young generation locked out of the market. And it is as such creating a class and asset conflict in this country that will get much worse for all involved with the state doing what it did in the last century and providing decent housing in decent communities for the working person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

By all means don't care.....+ enjoy how well it works out with the same class of cretins that made a complete balls of it at everytime of asking + institutional landlords....sure what could go further wrong?

• Advertisement

I think its going to lead to a fundamentally different economic way of doing things in this country.

More and more people locked out of property living at home until mid 30s will mean more support for the populist left, an end to multinationals who create wealth inequality and a return to pre 1990s Ireland when people has less disposable income for brand clothes etc but could have their basic needs of a home in their communties etc met.

Either than or we keep down the road of vast inequality leading to a wider divide between rich and the rest and a damaged society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"pre 1990s Ireland when people has less disposable income for brand clothes etc but could have their basic needs of a home in their communties etc met."

Christ. Now I know you're trolling.

Worth a little more but we lost a lot of money over the years ( rent did not cover mortgage + the fees mentioned above added up ). Never expected to make money on it the first 10-15 years. Then rent pressure zones came into effect just as the market turned and we could have charged fair market value.

Which would taken a lot of the pain away. Not all but most. Most forget that buy-to-let interest rates are a lot higher than normal rates.

Long story short. We did not do our homework ( own fault and took our eye of the ball with RPZs and missed the boat ) but never expected to be forced to not be able to set our own rent. ( lot more to the story I wont bore you with, but spent 5 years single-handed trying to get a functional management company setup due to legal matters and infighting between other apartment owners )

Nightmare from beginning to end.

And no you dont have to care about us but there are human stories behind each private landlord as well and some of those are horror stories.

A horror for you is not having made a large return on a second property. My horror is facing the rest of my life without ever being able to afford a secure home and retiring into homelessness, thats what a generation forced to rent due to a lack of social housing and restrictive lending laws are facing

Id be very happy to switch places

Nah, the horror for me was going through what 17-18 years with 10 of those sitting up working to 2am most nights to make ends meet and try to get out of the mess we were in.

But I fully agree with you. Its ALL a clusterfuck and I doubt it will be solved within our lifetimes ( without knowing your age ).

Best option. Get out of Ireland. Quality of life are so much better elsewhere. We plan to. I wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭notAMember

Without housing suppliers making an income, they don’t continue to invest. When they don’t invest there is less housing paid for and built. Builders need investors, to buy their units , to fuel and accelerate further production. Relying on first time buyers isn’t enough to fuel the building trade , they don’t have large enough buying power.

When there is less housing it’s more expensive to buy what’s available. Those who need more homes built (wannabe buyers), have skin in the game whether they realise it or not. It has to make sense for everyone involved in the market or it doesn’t work. Landlords and investors have to be able to make a living or they exit and the supply situation just gets worse and worse. Borne out every time I pick up a paper tbh. It is getting worse each year by demonising landlords and investors, so I don’t understand how people don’t get it yet. It’s so blindingly obvious, strangling the suppliers , strangles the supply.

Can I ask you a question? Did you want to move out of parents house straight into a 30 year mortgage? Did you want to have rental options available at any point in your life? Never studied out of your home town, worked anywhere other than your birthplace short term? Never wanted to move in with a boyfriend or girlfriend to see how you got along before making a long term commitment?

As a student in a different city I was happy to rent, though that should really be provided by the universities themselves. After graduating I was happy renting for maybe a year, by 25 I was actively ashamed of being a renter since that was the stage my parents and siblings had homes at and I was still in a house share. I moved back home recently and took on a second job, which Im taxed at near 50% on for the privilege. And when the savings done unless I keep this up for years and years, realistically Im 30 this year and life needs to actually begin asap so thats not an option, I will be forced to move away from Dublin

I really just dont understand why they wont take EU structural loans in the hundreds of billions like other nations do and we did for the road network, pay them back over 50 years and build social housing for every single worker who is forced to rent

I don't agree that universities should run housing too, and typically they don't , they outsource it. Their core business is education. But even if they did, that's just another private landlord anyway.

From your circumstances you've wanted or needed rental facilities for 8 to 10 years, but you don't care if none remains? You don't see how that's hypocritical?

The same cultural problem with social housing happens everywhere. When people don't own their own home, they treat it badly and the housing stock decays. You can look at the first nations reservations in north america, the communist block tenements in various countries and the existing social housing here. Take a walk through some of the social housing estates. People generally, by our nature will put their care and attention into what they own. They will instead maintain things of other value, like cars, horses or put money into high end designer clothes, but they place no value in something they can't sell or pass on to their families. It's up there with direct provision in wrong things to do, morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If you believe any government is going to build and subsidise houses for everyone who wants one you will be left severely disappointed.

Soviet style tower blocks won't even happen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any of these faceless investment firms buying up all round them being interviewed?

Absentee Landlords 2.0?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

So you seem to be saying that your first preference is for the state to basically house pretty much everyone who wants it (and the money for this would come from...?), and it's only because that has failed that we're forced to have (gasp, horror) a rental market..? You then complain about restricted lending rules, which are there specifically to stop prices skyrocketing and people getting into obscene debt - and which have actually been at least partly effective at doing so, when you look at other countries like NZ.

Look, there's no denying that the housing market here is a shitshow, but the sense of entitlement in your posts is off the charts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting feedback in this twitter thread. the comment in one of the articles 'i don't have much profit after mortgage and fees' made me laugh too - you have a property with a mortgage on it, and the rent is *more* than covering the mortgage. let me break out my violin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

OP is just a link.

God forbid people want to make a living by providing a service.

What is it you do to earn your crust?

As a student in a different city I was happy to rent, though that should really be provided by the universities themselves.

It is not a universities responsibility to house it's students, nor do all of the students in a university want to live in campus accommodation.

After graduating I was happy renting for maybe a year, by 25 I was actively ashamed of being a renter since that was the stage my parents and siblings had homes at and I was still in a house share.

You being ashamed of renting is an issue solely on you.

I moved back home recently and took on a second job, which Im taxed at near 50% on for the privilege.

Your taxes contribute to society. As someone who appears to expect the state to provide housing to whoever wants it, I'm quite surprised that you are critical of being taxed!

And when the savings done unless I keep this up for years and years, realistically Im 30 this year and life needs to actually begin asap so thats not an option, I will be forced to move away from Dublin

I really just dont understand why they wont take EU structural loans in the hundreds of billions like other nations do and we did for the road network, pay them back over 50 years and build social housing for every single worker who is forced to rent

Im not sure if the ESF would incoude home building. Anyhow, people right across Europe rent regardless of income. Is your objection towards renting or you not having your own home?

I'd also object to social housing being provided to everyone who is "forced to rent". If this were to happen then you'll suddenly find that everyone can't afford a mortgage.

Based on your last thread on this, I suspect it is because you can't afford a mortgage on a property near Dublin and don't want to move far from Dublin where a mortgage would be more affordable.

In your last thread, you came across as quite entitled but also naive. I'm not seeing you having learnt much from it though as you still believe that you should be handed a property because you can't afford to buy one.

So basically just the usual all landlords are evil and the old you are making money providing a service "Shame on you" crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

It's that anti landlord sentiment that's partly responsible for the crisis.

The "crisis" is due to many factors such as poor planning policies which lead to urban sprawl, poor investment public transport infrastructure, a dominance of demi-D housing and so on, a lack of investment in social housing coupled with the sale of much of the public housing stock.

It will take a long term plan that is agreed with all or most political parties. This won't happen because our politicians want to be in various photo shoots. The populist mantra of housing for all, etc which is more populist statement than a thought-out policy is being picked up by those desperate for their own home has become par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Interesting, a journalism lecturer. Maybe that explains a few things about how much of the media seems to talk about landlords.

Twitter taking its usual line that all landlords are evil greedy b*stards, just waiting behind the door to evict the tenants.

In all my many years renting (and iv said here a few times) most of my LL were fairly ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"Earning a crust"

Step 1: Go to Bank

Step 2: Fill out forms and get access to other people's money

Step 3: Figure out how to bid on a house and buy it using that money borrowed from other people.

Step 4: Get tenants in. Expect said tenants to have zero rights and to also be obligated to pay you enough so that you have "profit" left over after paying all your income tax and loan repayments.

Step 5: Kick tenants out. Own house which was paid for by tenants.

Step 6: Sell house and get original purchase tax free.

Step 7: Whinge about having to pay capital gains tax on the capital gains.

Do you feel entitled to that "crust" because you just feel special and exceptional, or do you think that steps 1-3 need a unique skillset that only you can provide?

Advertisement