Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times looking for Landlords to have their say

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Councils I think arent renting long term anymore. Stand to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

Not only are they doing leasing but they're doing lease and repair schemes too!

For example

Under the arrangement, Fingal County Council will:

• Be the landlord to tenants
    • Manage and provide support to tenants
    • Maintain the property internally for the term of the lease, the property will be returned to the owner in good condition at the end of the lease term, subject to fair wear and tear.
    • Pay up to 80% or 85% of the open market rent throughout the terms.

The Lessor will:

• Provide proof of ownership to Fingal County Council and any other documents required
    • Insure the building
    • Pay the local property tax (LPT)
    • Be responsible for all structural repairs and maintenance of the exterior of the property
    • Have no rent collection or rent arrears obligations
    • Not have to register the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

That doesn't seem too bad in fairness

Is there a minimum term

Do they keep their word, ie: if thf place gets seriously broken up, will they return it to what it was or use cheap materials, do a half arse job and there's f all you can do?

If you maintain the exterior do you have to arrange time for access?

If tenants are troublesome, how long before they are moved on....(given the lack of housing could redl problems be left sitting for years damaging exterior as well or doing serious structual damage - extreme I suppose but woukd br nice to know what they actually do in extreme cases as opposed to what the small print says yhey will do)

...would neighbours next door be happy (may be a consideration for some)

These are things I'd be wondering about...

I think 3 to 5 years is the minimum, differs in counties. Am currently getting planning retrospective sorted. My engineer is going to approach the council in the next months as its far away and I prefer to use an agent. The house would be ex County Council. Neighbours would be a mix of summer houses, and ordinary folk. My family have used it as a holiday home for the last 20 years.I think a local family getting a house would be welcomed. We have relatives in tbe immediate area ancestors from the surrounding area.

I will post here or start a new thread when I know more of the terms on upkeep etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Most have two offers.

You be the landlord and they pay you 90% market value.

They be the landlord and they pay you 80% market value.

Generally the ones where they are the landlord are for long term 10-20 year contracts.

Again I don't see the drawback. It's a long term investment. I'd love to hear from a landlord who has gone down this route. You'd pay nearly as much to a letting agent without the guarantees you get from the council.

Advertisement