Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atkins Hall/River Towers Apartments

Options
  • 14-08-2022 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying an apartment in either Atkin's Hall or River Towers.

From what I can gather from old posts between 2010 and 2015, the major issue with Atkin's Hall concerns cold and heating bills.

Has anything changed in this regard in 2022?

Can anyone living in either apartment complex now/recently advise on any potential issues to be aware of for prospective tenants in River Towers/Atkins Hall?

For example, structural/damp issues in either apartment complex, length of time to walk to city centre, internet providers/speeds, amenities close by, lighting, anti-social behaviour, noise from other apartments etc

Regarding internet, I work remotely so would need access to a reliable provider.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

If you look at the photos of the Atkins hall apartments on daft you'll notice that the ceilings are about 20ft high, and the rooms are heated by piece of crap electric and storage heaters.

There is no way you'll be able to heat such a high ceilinged room for a good price. The heat will rise 20ft up in the air where you won't be able to feel it. Who knows how long it will take for the room to heat up. Maybe never - depends if the ceiling is insulated or will it just go straight out the roof or whatever is above it.

I haven't actually been in one of those apartments but that's the conclusion I came to when I was house hunting and saw those pics.

There are no amenities close by if you want to get groceries or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenantt

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your input.

That is the conclusion that I came to when looking at the pictures. An old building as well, so I'd also have doubts about the level of insulation.

I don't generally feel the cold, but not a good environment to live in the long term if the apartment is not protected from cold and damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I viewed some of those apartments years ago (about '07 I think). The apartments I viewed in the main building were nice, decently sized and the high roofs make them seem even more spacious. The tall narrow windows in the one I viewed were a little offputting - they're not excessively narrow but the aspect ratio of them makes them seem very tight; and their height off the ground meant I don't think you could see much out of them if sitting. Had no issues with cold, but I wasn't viewing during the winter!

I viewed some of the apartments in the buildings behind, and didn't like them at all. Felt like they were built in a carpark, no view, and extremely dark.

Obviously there's little by way of shops/restaurants/pubs nearby; so you'd be quite dependent on a car or public transport (which is true of a lot of places now).

Thanks for the info who_me. The Atkins Hall apts are impressive to look at, but I am wary that they would be excessively cold and damp in Winter. Especially with the price of electricity these days!

I guess the ones behind would depend on the floor you were on as regards light. Nothing worse than living in gloom.

I have no car either, so sounds like that may be a drawback too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 equilibre

I lived in river towers for a year pre 2020 and the damp was horrendous. Mould everywhere, made me sick actually. Sound travelled between apartments. Sometimes it sounded like the people upstairs were inside our apartment.

Otherwise it was a pretty handy place to live.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info equilibre. Extremely useful. Damp and mould is not good (especially if buying).

I had read something about sound travelling between apts, but wasn't clear whether it was AH or RT.

Definitely not keen on living amidst neighbour noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I lived in Atkins Hall about 10 years ago, it wasn't great. I don't think much has changed since then but you're living next to a large area of derelict buildings (about half the building is still in ruins, also St. Kevins up the hill, etc.) - lots of potential for antisocial behaviour. Sound and thermal insulation were mostly non-existent. Had to ask my neighbours above me not to use their washing machine at night time as the vibrations and noise were unbearable.

Had problems with water ingress around the main windows. All new fittings were made to a poor standard (cheap kitchen, bathroom, etc.).

You'd be very isolated there without a car. You can walk to the shops at Victoria Cross but it's nearly 20 minutes.

Pretty much spot on regarding heating - impossible to heat such a large space without unreasonable cost. The storage heaters are ok if you're close to them.

Advertisement