Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp removal

• 14-08-2022 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for someone local to get rid of a wasps nest in a dormer roof space,

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Rentokil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Don’t waste your money, wasps finish their life cycle in September. They’ll all die off and the new queens fly elsewhere. They don’t usually reuse the same nest.

In fairness it's not set by the calendar. They will come and go from a nest until food supply dies off. This is dependent on the weather. It takes the first frosts to finish off all but the hibernating Queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

If you can spray on the outside of the house where they are entering the house it will kill them as they come & go i had the same problem fill hole they are entering when finished if you dont more will setup home for winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Not an option, family member is anaphylactic, wasps will be going, we used someone before years ago, just can’t remember who, wasn’t rentokil though, I can see where they are entering okay, where can you get what you need to spray as plan B, would prefer to use someone professional though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know the OP has a need to get rid of the wasps due to a relative's anaphylaxis, hope s/he found a solution.

I just noticed two weeks ago that I have a nest also. It is in a strange place I think... a little opening no bigger than a pound coin going into the space between me and my neighbour's back wall. It is actually on the neighbour's side but barely. Not much he can do as his extension is up against the entrance to the nest, so it's down to me!

So far they have not bothered anyone, they just fly in and out and as the nest is about 8 or 9ft off the ground it doesn't impact. I enjoy watching the drones flying in and queuing like mad things to get inside to deposit whatever it is they are bringing back. I just hope they don't swarm or anything, but so far so good. I'm not going to do anything about it. As a pp said, they will die off soon enough and I'll plug the hole when they are gone, although I don't think they use the same place again.

That's nature for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We had a wasps nest here this year, it was abandoned in the last few weeks, the nest is already beginning to disintegrate as there is no ongoing maintenance inside, they don't return to the old nest.

We're drifting off topic but something unusual happened in your case. It's only mid August and hive activity should be near it's peak now, not declining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I read they can start leaving the nest from August onwards

The end of a wasp nest starts about August, sometimes earlier, sometimes later but in most cases August. At this time the Queen stops laying new eggs. She has run out of eggs, in a similar way that some mammals stop producing eggs when they get older.

• Advertisement
Advertisement