Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roses that grow tall and wide?

Options
  • 14-08-2022 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi all. So basically I'm looking to know what breed of roses are the ones that over a few years grow really tall and spread out wide?

Years ago we had one that my mother got but unfortunately it was removed during some building works but I now have a large space along by a garden wall I want to plant these and have them spread and fill in over the years.

I am attaching some photos of one a relative has but she isn't sure what the type or breed is.

I'd love to get maybe a few different colors of the same breed as in the pics

Also, if we identify what I want, is it a waste of time buying them now and planting as I worry they might not have time to sufficiently settle in and root before the Autumn/winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Best just to choose whatever is available in your locality that grows to the height and spread you want, there are thousands of varieties of roses so one particular recommendation might be impossible to find.

Only difference between planting now and the Autumn is how much you'll need to keep it watered

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a golden showers that is doing that and lots of flowers, only in since last autumn.

If you train the first long branches to grow horizontally they will send up lots of vigorous side shoots vertically and creat lots of volume and all over flowers instead of just a spray at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

If it’s a tall and spreading rose you’re looking for a rambler might be the best type to go for.

Ramblers only have one flush of flowers, climbers will flower repeat flushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I had one at a property I once owned with small white flowers that grew to at least 7m high and was even wider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

First thoughts OP are that those pictures aren't of a particularly large rose so be careful what you ask for. Many ramblers will make 4 meters tall but won't get there without support.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Flower carpet rose grow wide but unfortunately not tall.

The pink rose looks like a Queen Elizabeth which is a reliable grandiflora rose which grows both tall and wide with gooc clusters of flowers given the right conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Thanks everyone 😊

So I've been researching what you've all been saying and I reckon I will get climbing roses given the area I need to cover, plus I want repeated flowering. The wall is about 5 feet high and runs a good 20 feet in length and has a 3 foot wide bedding coming from wall to the concrete border that was put

So you can imagine that's a lot of room for them to expand and grow into.

I'm wondering if maybe 5 would be enough and as the expand use the bamboo sticks to support them to stay up?

You will need something sturdier than canes, they would do for a little while but as soon as they start growing you will need horizontal wires firmly fixed to train them.

Yes 5 should be enough. You could interplant with some spring/summer flowering clematis - not Montana they are way too vigorous - to prolong the flowering season.

• Advertisement

I had figured that based on the old climbing rose alright it needed fixing to the wall at times!

That's so funny hadn't I been thinking of clematis before! I'm off to look at ideas now 🙈

Would the most effective way be to plant my 5 roses, then in the gaps in between plant clematis and just train them as they grow?

I had to plant clematis with the roses and I am not sure how successful this is, the clematis don't look too vigorous. If you have wires though put the clematis halfway between the roses.

Do the wires before you plant the roses etc as the wire takes on a life of its own and tangles in everything while you are fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Grandiflora roses are the tallest ones that can grow up to 37 meters. It is a hybrid rose type that looks easy to grow. This rose typically needs well-drained soil and good airflow. I think the roses you shared in the above pictures belong to the Grandiflora rose category named 'Queen Elizabeth'. I could be wrong, but I think they are Queen Elizabeth. You can also find more details about this rose breed here https://minnetonkaorchards.com/queen-elizabeth-rose/. They have the ability to grow from 5 to 10 feet.

Similarly, if you ask my opinion about growing taller roses, then I would vote for Mr Lincoln as a climbing rose. Indeed, Mr Lincoln can grow up to 3 meters. The second option could be Chrysler Imperial Rose because it is a spreading breed. This guide https://progardeningblog.com/chrysler-imperial-rose-vs-mr-lincoln/ can also help you find other details like the height and spread growing season of both of these roses. One thing more, if you are a lover of dark red roses, then you should also pick Mr Lincoln.

Here is another link https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/growing-roses/ to explore a variety of roses with several significant features.

Advertisement