Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms 14th/15th August 2022

• 14-08-2022 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some small but potent storms kicking off around the country. Worth a separate thread as this risk for big thunder and big lightning is there until tomorrow night at least. All parts at risk this evening but east and south main focus tomorrow.

New Moon

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Posting for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Amazing looking clouds in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Wind picked up considerably in Kanturk North Cork, few rumbles of thunder still but not much lightning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

East Cork with constant rumbling and breeze just picked up with the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What little thunder I'm hearing sounds like a nuclear explosion from deep under the ocean. Not very loud but unnervingly boomy.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

So far all looks very localised. Some grey clouds over the Bay around Ben Bulben area in Sligo. But seems to be missing SWDonegal and indeed we may hold dry.

I would love a good blast of a thunderstorm tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭thomil

Persistent, if not constant rumbling here in Ballincollig. Still not optimistic about any direct effects on us here though...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s seems to be moving away from the north side of cork city(unscientifically based on how loud the thunder is) which is good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not expecting much here in Meath, as usual we will miss out. Seems Meath, Louth and Dublin are the places least likely to get a storm tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

It's been building tge last 20 minutes or so, loads of flashes from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thunder lightning and colossal amount of rain. Fenagh Leitrim.

Its so dark. More lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Frequent strikes around Croagh Patrick in Co Mayo from 7.30 to 7.45, far more than what the lightning detectors picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Dog getting restless here north of Knockmealdowns. A few spots of rain, dark skies to west and SW. One flash of lightning the other side of Galtees, about 25km away. Kilmallock direction.

Having suffered a direct strike to the house before, I'll probably shut off my mains isolation switch if it reaches here later!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

Just brought in clothes off the line here in Kerry, smattering of raindrops starting up and can hear thunder in the distance.

Snap I took earlier on as that storm was building up over west Roscommon. It produced about 3 drops of rain here in NE Galway.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Can posters in the affected areas get a video or 2 please I've not seen yet go up

You are better placed for after midnight and throughout tomorrow.

New Moon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A few grumbles in Longford and wind has suddenly picked up. Leaves everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Huge rainfall here near Athenry in the last hour.

I recorded 2cm during the thunderstorm that came.

Here is a quick video that I recorded of the storm as it passed over Athenry after i moved passed me.

EDIT: thats a screenshot from met.ie radar of what I recorded on my drone. Im not sure why it doesnt show more strikes. Maybe it was mostly cloud cloud lightning over Athenry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great vid!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Condor24

Nothing in North Offaly so far, very still, muggy, cloudy. Decent thunderstorm activity is, along with heavy snow, the holy grail of weather watching. Very difficult to get everything in place. Tonight will be the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunderstorms set to migrate across the country overnight, great opportunities for videos!

Whereas any place could get a storm tomorrow Southern counties and Munster looks primed for big storms, looks like a great convergence zone along the coasts, soundings below for Cork city. Hard to predict rainfall but certainly possibility for very heavy rain locally under one of those slow moving storms.

North Cork.... just took best dog in Ireland out for his evening walk.........got soaked through.....& NOISY ....... thunder really banging the drums there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

South Tipp, dead and cloudy.

Plenty of swallows flying low at the moment. It's actually amazing to watch the air tricks they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Louder rumbles here in Cavan. Sky is dark on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fenagh, Co. Leitrim

I can confirm that another 2 drops of rain have fallen. All the showers to my S, SW, W, NW, N, NE, E, SE. What a dump.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME showing the potential along S, SE and parts of the E tomorrow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Kilkenny36

I know tornedos they are rare but how likely is it with weather like this that a small to tornedo could form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Powers back here in Carrick, still thunder but moving into west cavan etc i see the south has thunderstorms as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That looks promising for more storms tonight in Cork City @Meteorite58!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭thomil

Depends on how many airframes the Luftwaffe can get operational 😜

On a more serious note, it's certainly not impossible, especially once activity over the midlands kicks off, but that depends on a myriad of factors that I do not feel qualified enough to assess with any authority.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

New cells Limerick/Shannon

Would estimate that the rain rate in your video is about 30-60mm/ph.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

so is it tomorrow night more so then tonight that cork city gets all the fun ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Constant rumbling in East Cork

Lots of energy available into tonight and the early hours of Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Got to met.ie for the warnings,very hard for anyone to give such precise details giving the hit and miss nature of thunder storms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Cork should do well tonight and again tomorrow evening / night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That pretty much stays South of Dublin the entire time. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

That onshore easterly ruins it for Dublin itself I think

Means little under these types of synoptics and at this time of year.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭davehey79

Clouds over us now near mohill Leitrim. Few rumbles but still sounds distant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann have removed the thunderstorm risk from Meath in the local weather forecast. What does it take to get 1 decent thunderstorm in this county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭glightning

Surprising lack of development here in southern Co.Antrim. TBH, the skies looked more sinister a few hours ago than they do now. It's just a fairly generic grey out there now with nothing in the way of structure to see now (and no activity).

Really wanted to see a night time light show tonight, but I've had a busy weekend and I'm tired. Not sure I can sit up when at the moment it's looking to be a bust here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorm at Shannon with a Ryanair flight holding

EINN 141930Z 16007KT 2000 +TSRA FEW006 BKN020CB 22/17 Q1005 BECMG 9999

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rain going up to the left of me, and the right of me in West cork! Heard all about the storm in the city, was meant to be very loud! Typical, when I'm in the city the storms are down here, when I'm down here they are in the city! Hopefully tomorrow along the coast!

• Advertisement
Advertisement