Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms 14th/15th August 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Kicking off again on mid-Limerick, it's been a remarkable 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

You should get it soon , it's left here now , nice few flashes to go with the thunder !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's really weird, the sky to the north is blue with wispy white clouds, to the south dark clouds are gathering.

Just heard some thunder rumbling in the distance! 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some storm over in Wexford. Plenty of storms still firing away.

Below recorded sferics today so far from the ATD lightning detection system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Cork thunder shield is working very well last 2 days with the bulk remaining to the North, West and East of County. Much cooler now in the city so I would expect the ppn over North Munster to just weaken as it moves South

Saw these on twitter reportedly New ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's stopped raining now in Cobh (we had only a 20 minute downpour) but I've also learned that my weather station, up a nice high difficult to access pole, is completely blocked because it is merrily telling me we had no rain at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very dull in Meath but still absolutely nothing ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Near New Ross Co Wexford, about an hour after the hail had finished. Unfortunately missed the excitement, was down at Kilmore Quay where it was a summers day..

😥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Stating the obvious, but here's the latest SIGMET, now including counties further north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As a Dubliner I'd be happy enough with the creep of that line of storms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Unfortunately, the line is slowly edging away from Dublin. I'm quite confident that Dublin won't be affected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and there is going to be absolutely nothing either. Great stuff happening in the south of the country today and in parts of the west and a few midland areas last night. Meath should never have been included in the warnings for thunder because there was very little support in the models for thunderstorms in the area from yesterday afternoon. I knew by 8pm last night this was a total bust for much of Meath and Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Every other day of the year I rejoice in how dry Dublin is in comparison to the rest of the island. But yesterday and today have me feeling fierce bitter! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Posted this in the wrong thread, and this stupid new site won't let me delete it from that one.

anyway, ECM analysis for 12pm today. Convergence zone clearly over the south that resulted on all those storms down there today:

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Right on the northern edge of the thunderstorms over Kilkenny County. Booming away since around 5pm, bit of a lull in the last half hour but possibly another cell coming in from Stradbally-Athy area. Much cooler now too.

You live in one of he driest and sunniest parts of Ireland though, so not all bad.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I enjoyed the post in both threads! Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How come the storm front is moving North on the 6 news ME said it would clear South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

At least 54.0mm of rain has fallen since midnight at Dublin Airport making it the wettest day there now since August 2014. These are its wettest days since 2010 - note these are midnight to midnight totals.

02 Aug 2014 84.0mm

24 Oct 2011 69.1mm

15 Aug 2022 54.0mm

22 Nov 2017 52.0mm

01 Oct 2011 44.8mm

14 Aug 2017 40.0mm

Without a single flash or boom 😑

It's stationary but the general trend is for them to move away south as the warm airmass gets pushed away from the north.

New Moon

Thanks it looked on the radar to be going North I want a noise free sleep tonight after all the flash and bangs last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

When I looked at the radar a while back it was down to the Cork coast now it's clearing there maybe shrinking from the South

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ah lads I got some epic video how do I get it on here .??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Reminds me of a day during the summer of 2007 when there were flash floods in Swords and I didn’t get a drop only a few KMs away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You can upload them to YouTube or any other video service and link to it from here. Some other posters might provide better assistance though, previously posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sudocremegg

Think there's any more potential for the evening and night ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Had a light shower here in South Kildare, dark clouds now and very humid but I think we're out of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think that line of rain is gonna cause flooding from kilkenny up through carlow, its been stalled a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sudocremegg

It looks like the same band that was moving north a couple of hours ago. Now it's doing a 180 and going back on itself? mad

11pm galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Streamable.com is very easy. Quick signup, no crap.

Just after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Humidity is unreal, feels just as hot as when it was in the high 20's

Great will get on it just figured out de phone can take pictures of the video very cool will post more up get video 2mw. It was epic it was hitting oranmore hard me in claregalway had a great side angle to watch it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

RIP storms. Could there be more tonight perhaps?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All looking very de-electrified now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

After carefully analysing, I have become a bit dubious of the DA figure. 27.6mm would be a new clock-hour rainfall record for the station (26.5mm from July 2009 is the record I believe) but no word from the Met on it whilst they mentioned the 35mm hourly total from the Mallow climate station instead.

Hmm..

• Advertisement

For those of us missed out, there are makeshift alternatives!

Time to stock up on them balloons.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nah, game over now. Very disappointing 24hrs from a Dublin perspective but that's the way it goes. It certainly delivered for many areas though, delighted for those that witnessed some great thunderstorms. And thanks to all those that posted pics and vids!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

That rain at Tinryland, Co. Carlow at around 7pm this evening was some of the heaviest I have ever seen. Biblical stuff! The rate of water falling, the noise and water running down the road like a river was incredible with near zero visibilty as traffic went from 20km/hr to 0. Tullow got hit badly and also New Ross. It was mind boggling just how much water was falling at Tinryland from that cell. Arrived home late with a take away and we watched the lightning approaching with the lights flickering in the house before it fizzled out. MET called this one bang one with the warnings and timings in fairness to them. Hopefully everyone stayed safe today. Those were intense lightning storms which dropped a lot of water on very dry ground. Last night produced a good show over South Carlow and around the eastern side of Mt Leinster right up to Gorey. Thanks to M.T. for his update too and for all the updates here from regular posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

SFA rain in Bray. Paths got a bit damp a few times in some short lived light showers. Dried off again in the large sunny intervals between. The heavy stuff to our south never made it as far north as us and then the stuff coming from the North never made it as far south as us. Micro-climate as I'm always saying. Bray drought not broken yet really.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Hi all, just to tell Gonzo we got a good lightening display in North Meath last night for an hour before midnight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That was probably the storm that went into parts of Cavan and Monaghan so northern parts of Meath probably did have something to look at. Similar in Dublin where those on the very southern end of county Dublin got to see some flashes from Wicklow. Basically every county except Meath and Dublin had storms right over them so it's easy to feel very dissapointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭adam240610

Few snippets from a video I took last night in Greystones, nothing compared to most things I've seen but sure look

Cursing myself now tho, had shot it in 1080p 30fps instead of 4k 60fps

The storm Is dying in the South it brought two of the most exciting days of storms that we may never see again in Ireland, it had everything you could wish for hope all that got them enjoyed them. Thanks to all the posters and experts on here for all the updates and videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

We got very lucky in Waterford city, only 3.6mm of rain recorded by Waterfordcityweather.com when the deluge was just to our north. Plenty thunder and lightning but avoided the flash flooding thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m nth kk/ south Laois border area, house nearly got flooded from the rain that fell. Had to go out in thunder and lightning to clear the drains, that was not fun. Fire bridages called out to help in the village. Graiguecullen is flooded. Might have been disappointing for some, but it was scary for those of us that experienced it. I’m glad it’s over, it can fook off with itself.

Advertisement