Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms 14th/15th August 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Woke up to heavy rain just after 3am , got up to sky gaze , few loud heavy rumbles , then lightning! At least four or five lovely flashes over the last forty minutes or so . Can go back to bed happy now , Portlaoise ⚡⛈️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bit of action woke me up before 5.00 am Kilkenny. Still at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The most impressive thunderstorm in decades. These were taken looking east over Tipperary.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Complete non event in Meath anyways. No thunder and just a few very small flashes around 11:30pm or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Amazing photos @sryanbruen, @spookwoman and @cnocbui 👏

Love sryan's first one especially as I can see my house! Well, can see Greystones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

MTC was bang on the money as usual. Fair play to him!

I'm blaming him for Dublin not getting any rumbles though.

Makes sense - hes the weather god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

Clusters of heavy showers/thunderstorms in southern and eastern Ireland in response to a marked CZ, although the exact placement (how far inland) is a little uncertain. This area in particular has the greatest potential for significant rainfall accumulations, with some CAM guidance suggesting scope for 50-90mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Condor24

Some did well, some got nothing, such is the nature of thunderstorms. Got a nice light show from the Longford, Cavan storms about 10pm last evening, about twenty five miles north of me as the crow flies. But overall a damp squid for Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Portweather

Non event in Laois. Was suppose to be the place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nice show on the south east coast in Wexford now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donymuc

First time poster. Just to say that I drove from Cork to Waterford yesterday evening. From just before 8 to after 10. Most difficult driving of my life. Biblical rain and constant lightening from Midleton to outskirts of Waterford. Lots of pulling in as getting blind with rain and flashes. Convoys of 60km/h were the order of the day. Some very close ground strikes around the Youghal to Dungarvan section. Felt like one of those American storm chasing videos

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

So is waterford going to see it today again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Couple of strange cloud formations around east Clare this morning, driving from north Clare to East Clare. Cratloe hill looks like it could spark soon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only got the one good storm near athlone that i saw around 9 last night. Though when I say good it was nothing like the videos in this thread. Hopefully get some more today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Well I landed in Dublin at midnight and saw absolutely nothing.

Had a puncture in thr airport and saw absolutely nothing while changing it.

Came home to north Kildare and saw absolutely nothing all night.

Kermit asked if 1985 was really was as good as people say. It was the dog's ballox. Last night, for me personally, was a load of b......

Still, plenty of action for many others so that's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Located in South Dublin, fell asleep with the windows and blinds open in the hope thunder would wake me but instead woke to rain at about 3am…. Got up and had a look out the window and saw sweet f**k all! Reading back on the comments it appears as if I missed nothing?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matagorda

New Poster in S.Tipp, just under Knockmealdowns. Very surprised no activity overnight. A couple of flashes seen in Lismore/Youghal direction around 9pm and a couple of rumbles from Galtees direction then a few flashes but no thunder this morning around 4-5am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Last night in Galway was the most spectacular lightning show that I have ever seen here it was on a par with storms in Spain non stop lightning and thunder for a good few hours looks to be another active cell brewing off the Aran Islands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks to be a large shower with some lightening off the coast of Clare now. North Clare here and no thunder yet. Just moderately heavy rain. Might lead to something later. Overnight there were plenty of flashes from distant storms. Not sure if there was much overhead as I turned in around 12:30. Few times I woke overnight though there was a flash to be seen somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Serious thunder last night at 3am in North tipp, running parallel to Lough derg. Coupled with at least 20mm of rain.

In Greystones, last night, for a short period - around 15 minutes - there was lightning on average every 5 to 7 seconds (I was counting!) and constant rolling thunder (with no break between). As it was mainly IC, the lightning was more sheet, and the thunder not as loud as CG.

Overall, the show lasted around 45 minutes and as I went back to bed it was still flashing away (distantly) over the Irish Sea.

Not a patch on 1985, but the closest I have experienced to it, in Ireland, since (1985), for the amount/intensity of lightning.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Apart from some distant frequent flashes and distant thunder last night. Kildare must have some nighttime thunderstorm shield around it!

Again if your not living close to the coast your at nothing when it comes to these setups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

I think the drier and cooler air making it's way down from the north might halt the progress of the large shower to the southwest of the aran islands, this evening will feel nice and fresh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Another few strikes in Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Huge thunder and lightning in the nenagh area last night....sounded like massive explosions....

Very unnerving and impossible to sleep through...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

A good 2 hours of lightning 2-5km distance between 9:30 and 11:30pm last night, could see only a few bolts though, Mostly obscured by rain and cloud, thunder quite muted for the most part too, way louder, nearer and way more bolts visible on July 25-26th 1985 but sure some of ye in other locations got a better show, must have a look at video footage later to see if managed to get any strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Cool pics, nice to be in a more open flat area to see the bolts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Thunderstorm warning for Munster, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Wicklow, Dublin

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thunderstorm activity expected. Due to the sporadic nature of development, not all areas will be affected. Heavy downpours of rain and hail will occur in places. Flooding where heavy downpours occur.

Valid: 09:00 Monday 15/08/2022 to 22:00 Monday 15/08/2022

Issued: 08:57 Monday 15/08/2022

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

No great shear available today but convergence playing a big part I would think and slight upper circulation of winds as the area of Lp to our S pivots slowly drawing the weak front and troughs over us.Decent lapse rates, Moist airmass with high Dp's, getting up to the low 20's today, sunshine breaks will have a positive effect for cell formation, diurnal heating kicking off the storms proper by the afternoon, could be a lively afternoon. Looks like some very heavy localized rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Hopefully the ground was softened up a bit last night to mitigate flood risk a bit but most of the country looks set for a deluge today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I saw no lightning myself but did see plenty of lightening from just before dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in Longford and the lightning lightened the sky very frequently last night, as there was a huge amount of lightning occurring that caused frequent lightening of the sky. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Dublin is covered by the orange thunderstorm alert again but nothing in the what's been shared here and elsewhere seems to support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here's a few more shots that missed the 5am selection and edit session which I have gone back to and managed to squeze some good out of.

That first one just about melted the camera sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sun actually peaking through the clouds in Dublin

Very humid though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Holy smokes @cnocbui

That first one is something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jaysis it's still quite warm out there. Out in the garden this morning working and the heat still in the air. Definitely need a few more Thunderstorms yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nice bit of warm sun now in Dublin 18,should get convection going earlier today. Finger crossed, Dublin needs some boomers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Way cooler countrywide this morning with temperatures in the teens......quite the change from recent times, however with humidity above 90% in many places, it's humidity that is leading many us to believe that it's warmer than it actually is.

Back to the lightning storms that we want to lighten the skies, there looks to be something trying to get its act together in an area roughly from Thurles to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

God I just did a workout and nearly fainted. There’s absolutely no air to breath, I’d rather 30oC heat with some air then this sticky , muggy horrible sh*t.

Anymore potential lightning due on the east coast today?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭waterways

msg dmi.dk at 9:45am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If there was any activity, apart from some rain, in South Kildare I slept through it. The pics and videos posted here are amazing so hoping something kicks off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looked out the window there in West cork, clouds moving from north to south, but radar shows rain coming from South to North? Interesting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This event was a complete bust in Meath, had a few rain showers around 2am to 3am and that was it. Not a flash of lightning or rumble of thunder at any stage. Looks like the rest of the country did great tho. Meath is absolutely cursed for thunder and lightning. The wait since 1985 goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Does anyone remember this day of lightning in 2003 at all?

Never hear anyone mentioning it but I can vividly remember it being dark nearly all day and near constant thunder and lightning for hours on end. Was spectacular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

There should be a rule on this forum.... no light(E)ning allowed.

No genuine self-respecting weather zealot would commit that cardinal sin anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement