Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-priced Virgin media is down yet again and not answering the phone

Options
  • 14-08-2022 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Over-priced, appalling service, Virgin Media is down again today in Cork city.  Not just me, downdetector.ie confirms that I am not alone. 

https://downdetector.ie/status/upc/

When I attempt to call them to report the issue, one ends up in a voice menu tree which after wasting one’s time, says that they are closed on Sunday.   In tiny countries like Monaco, Andorra and Malta, the ISP answers the phone 365 days a year. And 1 or 10 GB/sec is the typical speed.

My Austrian mobile phone, which has 5G, is a lot faster on screen fills on a workstation in Ireland,  when tethered to my mobile phone compared with wired Ethernet to Virgin Media. (When the Virgin service  is functioning). Given the way that mobile data works, all my internet traffic has the latency of being sent to Vienna and back (eg for an Irish website).  

Not that it is all bad.   Eg the ads one sees on youtube are Austrian and varied – and not the same ‘head and shoulders’ and similar ads in Brexit lingo – served by Virgin Media which are spammed over and over.

Virgin is using an appallingly high contention ratio (ie the amount of internet bandwidth ‘shared’ by each of their customers).

While I don’t mind paying for a good service, the EUR 72,99/month charge from Virgin is grossly over the top for a heavily contented theoretical 400 Mbits/sec service.

Goodbye rip-off Virgin. I am in the lucky position of having an Eir and Siro fiber running outside my garden gate.

Advertisement