Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oleksandr Usyk v Anthony Joshua 2 - August 20th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wilder v AJ

Fury v Usyk

Is the way togo, AJ gets chimed in 3 and Fury stops Usyk about 10

I love Usyk but Fury will be the smartest fighter that Usyk has fought & unfortunately also the biggest,

Fury will be made work for it but eventually he'll get there

He was never going to actually win the fight I agree but he was factually winning the fight at the start of the 8th round

Both things are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I really think AJ doesn't want anything to do with Wilder.

He'd probably get sparked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Like Kell Brook was ahead against GGG/ Khan ahead against Canelo.(If memory serves me right)

I also agree that Usyk was not as good as he was in the first fight,

You could see he wasn't in as good shape physically at the weigh in and then in the ring he didn't move as well as the first fight overall, He still had brilliant moments but it felt like he was struggling to keep his work rate up at times

AJ performed better himself so we can't forget that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

He is a self confessed "pro" . Hates fury so hes concocted up a loss for him in his head.

Ye exactly you can be winning but in the path to getting taken out

Brook was level on two cards up on 1

I think Khan was down on 2 up on 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

AJ v Frank Bruno.

Who wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,132 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AJ, easily....Bruno was too easy to hit, and AJ hit hard enough to end this early.

Bruno could punch, so of course, he has that chance to land heavy and end it.

I think AJs stamina is also better. And his punch length and speed will be key. Faster and longer than Bruno

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yeah I have noticed that and it infuriates me. And now he has told me to not engage with him. Luckily for me I dont engage with people of limited mental capabilities that live their life on the internet with title of "internet pro"

And he hasnt really concocted the loss. He has rambled enough so he can go back and say that he was partly right

• Advertisement

Yeah actually his latest few posts were just framed as a close fight. I think his original one was "usyk beats fury" . Anyway you need over 10k boards post to know anything about boxing, everyone knows that.

You engaged me. I responded to your baiting and then you said you don’t need to engage me.

Now you’re back on having a dig at my “limited mental capabilities.”

Is all ok with you? Why the need to be hostile /belittling when engaging?

No, you just need to analyse and study and follow the boxers, and not rely on Paddy Power odds for every fight. It's rather simple, really.

Look at each boxer, study their game, their strengths, weaknesses, styles, attributes, performances and so on. Then make your call. Easy as pie.

Oh, and of course: Don't take things so seriously.....

Lads no need to be arguing ,

Look boxing is all about opinions & sometimes the experts of the professional game get things completely wrong, So i don't expect any of us to always be bang on the money ,

Personally iv always enjoyed this thread for the diversity in opinion, mkes you think what are other seeing that im not,

Out of interest how many of us predicted Usyk on points , i had said Usyk in 11

Nobody's arguing.

Me picking Usyk to beat Fury sent a couple posters into meltdown....Not my issue.

I predicted Usyk mid to late once he got past 5 rds or so,. He almost closed the show in round 10.

If Usyk was a heavier hitter I have no doubt he would have gotten the stoppage

You dont know me? I dont rely on PP odds for every fight. I dont use PP either. Fury can do what Usyk does but hes bigger and stronger. As others have said theres no pathway to victory for him. And i agree im not taking it seriously. I look forward to the craic after , either way it goes.

Only time will tell who is correct,

I'd have to favour Fury myself,

What was your pre fight pick the weekend

Ok, let's look forward to the craic, afterwards. No need for either us to be getting ratty. Let's hope they do actually fight now.

Fight pick for Usyk-AJ? Usyk mid to late rds

Usyk-Fury before Usyk won the other night? I was 50-50, as my posts from the past alluded to

From what I seen of Usyk on Saturday, I am now swayed to side with him. I was very impressed with him Saturday

Only real area of concern was he wasn't landing heavy shots, and AJ never looked really hurt. He may need more spite on his shots vs. Fury

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

Right you are , apologies for it from my side. To be honest fury for me needs to ,to be an all time great , this hanging around with wilder for years doesnt quite cut it for me and im a Fury fan. I did think he needed to fight AJ originally but theres no need for that at all now. This fight and win if he gets it, is all he needs to be fully considered the best of his time. Can retire then.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Wilder would KO AJ. Its the heavyweight fight i've looked forward to the most. I expect Wilder to land "something" which would be enough to take AJ out.

Also think Fury beats Usyk simply because he can move for a big guy, and the size difference is too great. Obviously in no other weight class are you able to give up 6 or 7 inches in height and maybe 50-70lbs in weight.

Whilst I expect Usyk to be busy etc.. and he will pose Fury problems in terms of movement, variation etc.. he is going to need to spend alot of time on the inside getting meaningful shots away, and I don't doubt he will have some success outworking Fury (who is fit himself with decent gas tank, but never has to work every minute of every round), I expect Fury to pour all of that weight on Usyk at every opportunity and wear him down that way.

In short, the size different is simply too big. But it will be an interesting fight.

They say a good big un' beats a good little un'. Usyk beating AJ was a great little un' beating a decent big un'.

Fury will be a very good big un' beating a great little un'.

No worries. I have no issue saying I don't like Fury, as in I can't really warm to him, albeit at times he has impressed me inside and outside the ring. No doubt he has talents and skills. Folks will always have some boxers they want to lose and don't rate/like.

Fury is number 1 or 2 at HW now, whatever way you look at it. Usyk deserves to be considered 1 or 2 as well. To me, both are the best at HW.

Months and months back I thought Usyk would be knocked out by AJ, and well beaten by Fury, as did several people here. Things move on, change, and views and opinions can change. I am still not Usyk's number 1 fan. I do think he is very good, by when assessing in an all -time senses, he has yet to even get there. His HW resume isn't ATG standard. He beats Fury and then he elevates higher.

Issue for Fury is that IF he beats Usyk, he has simply beaten a clearly smaller man, albeit a HW man. The very reason, or at least a big reason that folks are picking Fury to beat Usyk is size/reach and weight. Yes, Fury also has skills, but the size/reach and weight are what folks really believe will allow Fury to use those skills to win.

Same as myself really ,

Although i though Saturday showed all the reasons why Fury will beat Usyk ,

AJ done a lot better (still lost easy) but he has no where near the fight IQ of Fury ,

I massive problem for AJ is how well he does all the basic's , It sounds mad to say a strength of his is a problem but hear me out ,He does everything to a tee, box's very simplistic , very rigid , he fights very purposely , which is what got him the belts , Doing all the basics brilliantly and with his power blows away 90% of the heavy weight division , but it was way to easy for Usyk to read,

I think Usyk will find it difficulty to read Fury & will also struggle to hurt him, on top of that he can't bank on Furys gas tank packing in like AJ's

I really do see Usyk trying to start fast but find it difficult to hit Fury without being tagged back, Eventually Fury will start to nail him to the canvas & stop Usyk late on ,

I have a feeling the Usyk-Fury verdict might come down to simple volume. Could be a lot shots not really landing, but Usyk throwing more and more and looking more like he wants the win.

On AJ the other night. Although I saw mprovements, he still looked very ordinary. He is just too stiff and rigid, as you said.

i think Fury has the ability to make the fight a mess and lean all over Usyk

People wanted AJ to do that but he can't he never could ,

Yes, Fury's best traits here are to impose his size and weight. Needs to pin Usyk down to do it. Fury can still do well and win from mid to long, but I feel his best method is to be up close and physically go to work.

I do hope we get a good refereee who doesn't allow fouling. Lying on and pushing/holding etc are against the rules. Fury is not averse to these tactics.

Wilder-Usyk would be a fun fight, and not a foregone conclusion. That raw power is stll there, as well as those long arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

The problem for Joshua is that he can blow away 90% of other heavyweights out there in his old rampaging style.

However, when you get into the upper tiers like Usyk, Fury etc that just isn't good enough because these guys are supremely technical boxers who see that coming a mile off.

So, he needs to train and improve his technical aspects which is what McCracken was trying to do with him. In fairness to him he made big improvements with just one camp with Robert Garcia.

He will fight the likes of Dillian Whyte, it will be a shootout with a big knock out but in reality, he's going nowhere with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

I think when Wilder fights AJ, hopefully 2023 in England, he will finally be regarded as a great after he knocks AJ out in the first few rounds. Wilder has a bright 2 or 3 years if he fights outside the US.

For me Usyk is a nightmare for Fury and I agree he could easily hit, without menace, and move and steal a victory that way. The only issue is Fury has a better fight IQ than anyone else in this era. His will to win is in his DNA so he can switch it from clean boxing to grappling and everything between.

AJ doesn't have that will but he has a big ego. In round 9 Usyk backed up while AJ piled on the pressure. In round 10 AJ stood still while Usyk piled on the pressure. That's the difference.

If Wilder ever got to fight Usyk I think he kills him to the body, kinda like how he started against Fury in their 3rd fight.

I reckon the lead up to Fury v Usyk would be great craic, like John C Riley and Will Ferrell in Stepbrothers.

Advertisement