Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing wires for TV into wall

Options
  • 15-08-2022 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions regarding chasing wires into the wall for the TV. Please see the photo, the TV is approx 1.3m off the floor, which is quite comfortable for viewing when reclined in the recliner.

I plan to run: 2 x HDMI cables, one copper and one fibre, 2 x ethernet, 1 x optical (toslink), 1 speaker wire for centre channel and a figure 8 power lead for the TV. All the wires are going to go through brush plates, one located behind the TV and one located near the floor.

The chase running horizontally on the chimney break is approx 70mm wide and the chase running vertically going down to the floor is approx 60mm wide.

My questions for you:

1) Do the various cables listed above need to be rated for "in wall use"? What about speaker wire? I'm also added in (passive) in ceiling speakers for surround sound. What if one of the cables (toslink optical) has a braided covering?

2) Can I have the plasterer go directly over the cables, or do they need some sort of capping? The chase is about 20mm deep and I don't think there is room for conduit.

3) I know there are regulations with regards to electrical safe zones and that 90 deg turns without an "accessory" aren't allowed, but would this same rule apply when the power lead from the TV can be unplugged? I don't want to have a blank plate in the middle of the wall.

4) What should I use to secure the various cables into the chase? Could you provide links?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

Advertisement