Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 15-08-2022 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Morning all, hope in in the right spot! I'm looking for some advice. I'm about to take over the family farm and most of it is let which leaves me roughly 10 acres to use. Just wondering what people would advise as regards to getting a few sheep or a few cattle?? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Depends really a few quite heifers for the 7 months would be your handiest bet...i presume you are not making silage, or keeping cattle for the winter (or have facilities to do so)...on sheep, is the ground fenced for sheep, do you like working with sheep or have any experience, if yes then you could buy a few store lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Do you have access to a cattle crush?

There's a bit of logistics whichever way you go. Do you have entitlements / are you getting any payments? If you're not I'm gonna suggest that you might not turn much (any) profit working a few acres. Expensive hobby is how Mrs R describes it 🤣

Are you looking to take back the land leased out at some point? Do you have farming experience? So many questions ....

Advertisement