Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Kilkenny beer still available?

• 15-08-2022 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I'm finding it harder and harder to find Kilkenny in cans anywhere in Limerick?

Has it been discontinued?

Is it available on tap anymore?

MtM

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I see it in supermarkets in Dublin so it still exists. On draught it tends to be only in very touristy pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is Kilkenny not just smithwicks rebranded for the foreign/tourist market?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

is Kilkenny not just smithwicks rebranded for the foreign/tourist market?

@ablelocks it depends, I think.

I have ordered Kilkenny in Belgium and I'm pretty sure it was Smithwick's.

But the Kilkenny beer you get here has a nitrogen head, and has a sweetness to it that you don't get with Smithwick's. So yes it is different.

I still see it in cans in places occasionally. There is (was?) a handful of pubs in Kilkenny you could get a pint of it on draught as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Kilkenny was originally Smithwick's rebranded for foreign markets but hasn't been for almost 30 years now. When the nitro red craze struck in 1994 or thereabouts, Guinness began using the Kilkenny brand for their answer to Caffreys, but it was a different beer from Smithwick's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement