Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing stuff to external insulation

• 15-08-2022 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭

I would like to hear people's experience with attaching stuff such as external lights, taps, hanging baskets, downpipes, car chargers, etc to external insulation. We have 100mm foam and acrylic plaster (I think that's what it's called) so it's essentially like a thin hard eggshell coating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

You need to retain the services of a qualified & certified insulation installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I just have to reply to this :-)

OP, I'm interested in this as I might one day get our house insulated externally. From what I can see and from common sense there are obvious limitations to what you can attach to your external insulation.

Anything light, like for example an outside light can go in with Spiral Anchors - see page 9 here https://spsenvirowall.co.uk/assets/technical-resources/331-Mechanical-Fixing-Systems-for-External-Wall-Insulation.pdf note they need sealing as you install them.

The same catalogue pdf has fixings for heavier items including satellite dishes and antenna along with fixings for medium weight items which I think would be OK for down pipes.

I think its really down to common sense. I'd certainly think twice about bolting on supports for hanging baskets because I've had problems getting fixings staying in solid walls with the size and weight of baskets my wife likes to produce. While on the subject of hanging baskets I got around that problem by getting a couple of old telegraph poles cutting them down and putting then in the grass a little away from the house wall. I used some old iron pipe through holes I drilled in the poles to support the baskets.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement