Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefits

• 15-08-2022 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi All

Broke my hand and fingers on first week of July and still in cast. Surgeon certified me off till middle of Sept. I have informed my principal of thus but just wondering how this works in terms of sick pay do I need to inform department even though it happened over smer hols will they back date it for sick days. Etc or do school inform them.

Have rang asti but no real clarification any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Sorry this happened to you. I would advise that you talk to your doctor and ask him/her to write you a cert from the first day you’re officially back on school grounds until you are fit to return.

If you backdate your cert to when it happened you will use up all your sick leave as you only have 90 days full pay and 90 days half pay in a rolling 4 year period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd say the same as Sir123. I broke my leg four years ago and was out for 10 weeks. It overlapped with Feb midterm and Easter so I lost three weeks sick leave on the holidays. Granted I was still out, but in your case there is no need. Also you will have to have a Medmark appointment to say you are fit to return to work if you are out for more than four consecutive weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you get a cert from the start of July to mid September you're looking at 10-11 weeks of your sick leave gone for the next four years. That's assuming you haven't used any in the last couple of years. It leaves you very short if you have a bout of sickness and need to take the time off. 13 weeks on full pay, then 13 weeks on half pay. Most of your full pay sick leave will be eaten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭2 fast

If you were in school on the last day of term then you're fine just put in your cert starting the date school is due to return to prevent using all your sickpay

Advertisement