Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News from the North

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,153 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What's missing downcow is YOU opening threads to condemn this behaviour. And what can be plainly seen is your agenda, which is to diminish the rampant sectarianism at the heart of OO/Loyalist 'culture'.

You have been called out for it by more than me...own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Here’s a quick summary. Nolan asking great questions of companies associated.

let me predict, feile will be dragged kicking and scream into inclusivity and sanity in the next year of me two. Money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So which would you prefer. The West Belfast skyline lit up with bonfires and the air ringing with the banging of dusbins? Or all the kids out having a great time singing and dancing.

Perhaps you might need to be reminded about what happened then in West Belfast?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/24/the-ballymurphy-precedent-review-touching-personal-accounts-of-the-troubles

Can you condemn the British Government for introducing internment? Or do you just want nationalists to forget the British atrocities in West Belfast at that time.

PS - Stephen Nolan is just a shock jockey.

Sad questions really. That’s a poor approach that limits expectations of a normal society.

just because things were very bad before it should stop us wanting them not to be bad now.

do you ever consider how victims of Ira violence feel about young people chanting ira? A serious question

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Fallout2022

Medice, cura te ipsum

• Advertisement

Even alliance are saying today that they will have to consider whether they will participate in feile again unless there are big changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have come to a point that I find the whole imagery burning and name calling laughable on both sides. Doesn’t matter if it’s green or orange. Politicians on both sides getting air time ranting about nothing riling up idiots. Children the lot of ye.

I visit NI almost every week for my employer and I don’t see working people even remotely throw shapes at each other or mention their religious beliefs in anything other than a conversational by the way kind of way. And nobody gets offended. I have colleagues from both sides of the fence and it’s easy to get them going for a laugh when they have drink on them but it’s never held in spite.

Much like our travelling cousins here, your cultural beliefs on both sides are not worth keeping as they come from a different era fit for dinosaurs and should never be part of this century.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

They are very sad questions that at this day and age you get all riled up about a fairly catchy chant in a song (I'd prefer if it was ''Uh Ah, Paul McGrath ...'' refrain), but there you go.

So which would you prefer, bashing of bin lids/bon fires to commemorate Internment without Trial in 1971 / Ballymurphy Massacre or a concert where young people can let off a bit of steam. You won't have a 'normal society' until its accepted that these things happened and the British Gov. stops trying to pretend they didn't.

Maybe the bin lids/bon fires might be better so that people can be reminded what did happen and not want to go back to those days again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Some see the IRA as freedom fighters, other see them as terrorists. That view in the north is very contentious but it is a fact. There is nothing illegal in seeing the IRA as freedom fighters so therefore these chants are not illegal under law. Singing Uh ah up the ra would not be considered a hate crime under law.

However a state sponsorship on event where a view of such a contentious issue is so apparent is not a good idea IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭trashcan

Course you would ! That’s why Unionism threw its toys out of the pram at the thought of Home Rule in 1912. Would be your worst nightmare.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭trashcan

He says, safe in the knowledge that it’s not going to happen. But you know, I’d almost be tempted, if only for the sh1ts and giggles as the likes of Jim Allister lose their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I know that we're all sick of the blinkered, one-eyed bollocksology you've been spouting around here for the last few months trying to stir people up by claiming it's the Unionist occupiers who are the good guys up there. Nobody (on boards) is buying it apartfrom a few other simple-minded eejits that haven't a clue.

And you really haven't got a clue. Wasn't it you who claimed that SF are forcing Irish onto everyone, while completely oblivious to the fact that it was illegal for it to be spoken for centuries? Truth be told, the only reason ANYONE on this Island speaks English at all is because of the cultural genocide forced upon us by your predecessors.

Indeed and it was, folks.........indeed and it was.

Talk about being tone deaf. Imagine Putin complaining that the occupied parts of Donetsk wanted to keep speaking Ukrainian.......

I wish you would tell the shinners that who seem determined to shove Irish language on everyone whether they want it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why is the **** stirrer Nolan having his Tweets shared on here. He is not objective and non partisan.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You could always report anything you consider inappropriate, but sometimes leaving something up may say more about the topic than taking it down

However I am going to close this thread for a full review, and based on a cursory glance I suspect it may not be re-opened

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are a couple of issues with this thread

Firstly it allows the OP to discuss topics where they were banned from dedicated threads.

Secondly the OP knows their views will be challenged robustly, but also in a way consistent with the way they have been challenged in other threads

The OP has made themselves the most active poster on this thread, which they tend to do with all the threads they start. Alas although they seem to set out with good intentions inevitably these threads turn confrontational as the OP robustly defends their "traditions" and others robustly challenge them, with the thread descending into a one versus the rest with one or two others chipping in until they see how antagonistic the thread is and decide they really do not want to get involved

To save everyone further grief the thread is remaining closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement